Thread: DG856 hunt experience?

Default DG856 hunt experience?

First off, I'm not looking for any info on where to go or access points. I'm doing plenty of research and scouting on my own. I drew out this tag, it will be my first time hunting in AK, or for any Mtn. Goats at all. I'm excited to get in the high country and chase these animals of the mtns! Just wondering if anyone has hunted this draw on this site? Searching revealed no info. I would like to hear from anyone who hunted this. Mostly I just want to talk about huning goats since I'm so excited!! Can't wait for September! Thanks

You would make it easier to respond if you included the location and dates of this hunt.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Sorry, still new to the forum. The hunt is Sept.8-mid October. It's right outside Girdwood, in the Winner Creek and Glacier Creek drainages.

You have all summer to figure this one out, happy scouting of this road accessible tag.

I ski back that way a bunch. I see a pretty good amount of goats. Sometimes I'll set up my spotter at work (Alyeska resort) and look at them across the valley. Tram ride to high ground is nice for spotting purposes . If you have a mountain bike, winner creek trail is a pretty fun ride and you can make decent time while covering a good bit of terrain. CPG (Chugach Powder Guides) has a snow-cat road that also goes up to a cabin too. If you want to have a look around on the back side of Alyeska Mtn. PM me and I'll give you a lift up to the top of Chair 6 in my work truck. Save you 2000' vert of climbing. The hike up and over glacier bowl is a steep one though.

bigsky-thanks! Dorking around on Google Earth I spotted the CPG snowcat trails. Do you know-are they private or can I snowmachine on them? I plan on doing winner creek and glacier creek hikes and bike a bunch all summer for scouting. That's good to know about at the top of the tram-I'll definately utilize that.

a2thak- CPG's cat road is open to the public but closed to motorized use (except by permit). There isn't enough snow to make a run on it now anyway. On a typical year I would have made a few trips to the cabin by snowmo or snow-cat but the snow is too thin down low to make it without beating up the machines. I have been heli-skiing a couple of times this season and have seen a couple good sized goats. I don't ski with binos or a spotter but they looked to be doing well with the low snow pack. They sure are hard to spot when it's snowy though . Usually I'll see the tracks from the air first and then follow them to the where the goat is hanging out. If the light is funky they just seem to disappear into the clouds. Alpine Air out of Girdwood does scenic heli flights. They aren't cheap but they could save you a bunch of time looking. I'll keep ya posted if I see anything while out touring etc....

can u take the tram up and over in hunting season with a rifle?, catch goat then dinner at 7 glaciers and toast to success and tram ride down on way home. just a thought

bigskyguy-Wow, thanks for all the info. I owe you a beer at the very least next time I'm down in Girdwood. The summer heli flight is a good idea. I'll probably save the money and just hike and bike up in the area a bunch all summer-I need the exercise anyways. Thanks again!