Thread: Deshka report?

Default Deshka report?

Anyone go on sunday or today???? Any better than sat?

I went on Monday real slow saw two fish put into boats man my this year hasnt been good when it comes to fishing. But its always fun to get the boat out.

We fished for 4 or 5 hours on Sunday at the mouth with no activety, much like Saturday.

Twenty of us were out Sun afternoon, all day Mon, and early Tue. The only fish we caught were late Sun night using Mepps #5. Mon there was a lot of action with other boats landing fish, but my group was skunked the rest of the way. It seemed like the only ones catching fish were soaking eggs. Monday night and Tues morning early it slowed considerably. It was my first trip and I was disapointed. I had heard all the stories of fish every cast. It does seem to be picking up, but I am departing to the lower 48 for 3 weeks, so I guess I miss it... Good luck!

Is everyone just fishing the mouth now or can you still go upstream to some holes? Water has to be pretty low, I havn't been there in over a week and it was real low then.

On Sat the water was a little higher than on the previous weekend. I've been up to the beaver hole. Water is low but doable. Then again I'm in a 18ft John w/jet all I need is a few inches of water. Saw some other boats going futher up. Talked to a guide who went all the way to the weir. Hes said same thing low but boable.

I've was fishing the beaver hole pretty steady but have only one fish to show for it. I gave up last week and shifted to the Little Su. From everything I have seen on here and from talking to folks the bite is off bad on the Deshka and during the week I can't be there in the early morning hours. I just don't want to waste the gas and time at this point. The price of gas is now a major factor in everything I do for the truck and the boat. Never used to worry about it but now it seems thats the major factor on when and where I go.

i went up to the wier mon night. water is very doable, low but good if ya know what your doing. saw lots of kings, it was like a fish party. but after throwing 3 tackle boxes at em we only came up with 1 fish.

The bite starts about 1100 PM and lasts until the sun hits the water. Then it is over. Been that way all week long. All the holes above the weir are holding good numbers of fish. Fish are stacked up in the thousands below the weir, kinda milling around and fighting each other.

Default Poor

Would not waste the gas, go to Penninsula they seem to be doing better.
    The bend is your friend.
    Good Luck Louie

I decided to fish alone early Monday (6/18) morning due to my buddies canceling out from all the bad reports.

I started fishing at 5:30 and had 4 by 7:30. I had a proxy for my aunt to get the extra 2. There was a good bite the whole time I was there. I got 2 at 15, 1 at 20 and 1 at 30lbs. I like to fish a small bit of roe with a small light green bead and 2 split shots 20" up from the hook. I let it sink to the bottom and then reel in slow. If you feel a bite that feels like a 4-5" smolt hitting it, set the hook. The area just accross from the floating docks 200-300 yards upstream of Mike and Merts seemed to be the hot spot. Other boats around me were catching too. I think the cloud cover on Monday made all the difference. It is suppose to cloud over this weekend so the bite may be back on...Hook 'em deep!

Here comes the people! Deshka River, the "Russian River of the North!"

Still fun though. Thanks for the report.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

CHange in weather, my guess: ITS ON
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Unhappy No fish at the mouth

We fished the Deshka for six hours Friday afternoon/evening. Only about 8 boats at the mouth. Water was up-Conditions cloudy. Not one King landed by any one in our view. All fish appear to be miles upstream.