Thread: Parking??

Default Parking??

My dad drew a DS203, walk in sheep out of Delta. My question is being it's a walk in hunt the truck will most definitely be visible from the road. Anybody have troubles with vehicle vandalism? What can be done to avoid this? Our truck will be visible from the road and we do plan taking as much time as it take to fill this coveted tag.

I left my truck on the side of the alaska highway for about a week when I did my hunt a few years ago. Didn't have any problems.

BUT....one thing for you to keep in mind. Since you have the non-motorized tag, you can't drive off the road. So don't wander back 1/4 of a mile on some trail or something.

I know a guy that was just barely off the road and had a big sheep confiscated. Trooper was waiting for him when he came out. Had spotted the truck early on and figured what it was there for. Came to check on it frequently. This would be a lousy way to end a hunt, so be careful.

If you happen to be going up the Gerstle, you can get off the highway and out of sight on the north side of the highway which is out of your area. You simply walk across the highway and down the access road.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    BUT....one thing for you to keep in mind. Since you have the non-motorized tag, you can't drive off the road. So don't wander back 1/4 of a mile on some trail or something.
    One would be wise to check with ADF&G before taking my word for it, but my understanding is that you can park your rig 1/4 mile from the highway, if that's where the parking is, but you have to start walking at the highway. Easy enough going in to drop your pack at the road, park your rig and go back to get your light pack. Takes some willpower to walk right by your truck to bring your meat (and all other gear) to the highway.

Edit: Didn't mean that 1/4 mile is the magic amount. The place that I checked on this w/ Fish and Game 15 years ago has good parking 1/2 mile from the highway, and they were fine with me parking there, so long as I humped my pack all the way to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    One would be wise to check with ADF&G before taking my word for it, but my understanding is that you can park your rig 1/4 mile from the highway, if that's where the parking is, but you have to start walking at the highway. Easy enough going in to drop your pack at the road, park your rig and go back to get your light pack. Takes some willpower to walk right by your truck to bring your meat (and all other gear) to the highway.

Edit: Didn't mean that 1/4 mile is the magic amount. The place that I checked on this w/ Fish and Game 15 years ago has good parking 1/2 mile from the highway, and they were fine with me parking there, so long as I humped my pack all the way to the road.
    Check with Fish and Game all you want, but the ones citing you will be Troopers so its best to check with them in the local outposts.
    Based on all that went on last year for the DCUA with people parking outside the easment/right of way for the highway, the above advice will get you cited.

I've read all the horror stories about people being busted for going too far off of the road so I plan on talking to both the wildlife and regular troopers a little closer to hunt time. It doesn't sound like anybody has had any problems with vandalism witch is my main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post

I would not go that far... Rule of thumb, if you can chuck a rock onto the centerline, you're close enough. 1/4mi will definitely get you cited...and it happens every year.

I spoke with the Troopers on this... they will not give you a number, but suggested use judgment. I've never had any problem parking near the highway and don't think it's too risky.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

You could end up with 4 flat tires in a carrs parking lot. In the new alaska, you must not only be adventurous, but carry full coverage insurance. Good luck on your hunt, at least it's not jim creek.

I always just have some one drop me off where I'm going in and pick me up at decided time. Often just start at the house.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    If you happen to be going up the Gerstle, you can get off the highway and out of sight on the north side of the highway which is out of your area. You simply walk across the highway and down the access road.
    We had no problems with the trooper that checked us in the parking lot on the northwest side of the Gerstle river bridge. And our suburban had lock issues but was completely untouched. I think the Trooper has some sort of monitoring system for that place because we were back to the truck for about two minutes before he showed up. My brother did the same hunt a year later and again, the Trooper was there within 5 minutes. Nice guy, very professional too so it wasn't a bad experience. Just impressive how quickly he showed up on back to back years.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    We had no problems with the trooper that checked us in the parking lot on the northwest side of the Gerstle river bridge. And our suburban had lock issues but was completely untouched. I think the Trooper has some sort of monitoring system for that place because we were back to the truck for about two minutes before he showed up. My brother did the same hunt a year later and again, the Trooper was there within 5 minutes. Nice guy, very professional too so it wasn't a bad experience. Just impressive how quickly he showed up on back to back years.
    I know on my DCUA hunt, there was a trooper in a super cub in the area. Could be they monitor people on their way out and a trooper in a car just happens by at the right time.

On my hunt, the pilot trooper landed behind us (we flew) by about 5 minutes. I think my sheep was sealed about 10 minutes later.

That is probably it...In talking with that trooper he mentioned that he was a pilot also. That military road is so straight and long he can see people coming in fora long way I bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I know on my DCUA hunt, there was a trooper in a super cub in the area. Could be they monitor people on their way out and a trooper in a car just happens by at the right time.

On my hunt, the pilot trooper landed behind us (we flew) by about 5 minutes. I think my sheep was sealed about 10 minutes later.