Thread: Canoeing up Kashwitna?

Default Canoeing up Kashwitna?

Has anyone ever made a canoe trip up the Kashwitna? Just curious. I'd like to plan a nice multiday trip up a river one of these summers.

No but it's pretty swift so it would probably require a lot of lining.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson5 View Post
    Has anyone ever made a canoe trip up the Kashwitna? Just curious. I'd like to plan a nice multiday trip up a river one of these summers.
    If anybody has done it would be "sid", I would ask him.

never been up very far look at one of the YOUTUBE Videos looks like going up with a powered canoe you could do ,
    but coming back down would get more gray hair with a powered canoe , a good paddler s on a canoe could be dun ,
    powered canoe 15 HP with lift [ Grumman 19 ] SID use copy an past

Click here:Alaska Mini Boating Kashwitna River Rapids - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HLPMC2Fkcw

The Kash gets swift and hairy in corners. Water levels can make or break your plans, and glacial influence makes fresh water a challenge. I would personally opt out. There's not a lot to see or do upstream. Tall grass and big timbers for much of it. If you do it, don't make camp on sketchy sand bars because depth surges up and down with warm weather and also rain.

lb

Yeah I see from watching Sid's video. Doesn't look very canoe friendly. I will say though, that's a cool looking little boat! Care sharing more info about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends just how bad you want to do it.

Talking to a guy that knows the area, it's not that bad if you do your home work, there are ways to get around most of the bad spots. Your just not going to be doing it at 30 MPH or in one day.

I would take it slow going up picking my way and when I came down I would float it only using the engine to keep me out of trouble. There only one spot that really scares me it's the S cure with two really big boulders in the middle if one don't get you the other will you may have to portage or line around it.

Forum member RickP broke both his motor, and his scott freighter on the Kashallowswiftna

I know of two who who did it in a 19 ft. stern Grumman and know of a number of persons who tried it in riverboats and inflatables who failed. ( There used to be parts and pieces of the failures lodged in sandbars and among the rocks.) I used to hunt up the Kashwitna with a 19 ft. stern and 15 hp but I stopped several miles up when it started to get scary. At that time (early 1980s), there was actually a reasonable number of moose up there and at least one year, any moose above the intertie was legal. Deep snows in the winter of 1989/90 decimated the population and I don't know if it has ever returned.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Forum member RickP broke both his motor, and his scott freighter on the Kashallowswiftna
    That,s a shame my old boat, the boat and motor were in great shape when I sold them to Rick.