Thread: Spring Bear BLAH BLAH BLAH

Default Spring Bear BLAH BLAH BLAH

I know there are hundreds of spring bear threads about how do i find one tied up and what are the numbers to it. Where do i look and how do i go about it. I have read every one of them. Been here 5 yrs and yet to connect. Never seen one when i had a rifle. I'm looking for a griz but a black would more than suffice. We have wheelers and snowmachines. This spring we are thinking of summit area or mcarthy area. If your willing to give help by saying maybe look here, a private message would be great. But what i'm looking for is maybe information on some trail systems or where your arch enemy is always successful for bear. Since ive been here i have been figureing out one thing at a time. I dont have family here so trial and error is how its made. With bear i have had alot of error.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    I know there are hundreds of spring bear threads about how do i find one tied up and what are the numbers to it. Where do i look and how do i go about it. I have read every one of them. Been here 5 yrs and yet to connect. Never seen one when i had a rifle. I'm looking for a griz but a black would more than suffice. We have wheelers and snowmachines. This spring we are thinking of summit area or mcarthy area. If your willing to give help by saying maybe look here, a private message would be great. But what i'm looking for is maybe information on some trail systems or where your arch enemy is always successful for bear. Since ive been here i have been figureing out one thing at a time. I dont have family here so trial and error is how its made. With bear i have had alot of error.
    Well your not the only one the Bears have been eluding!

I'm hoping with the thin snow this year I'll get Ito some areas I've not been able to reach in previous springs, you might find the same true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I figured out your first two problems.
    You have a wheeler
    You have a snow machine

Bears on a sled are tough! Bear hunting is best when the snow is so bad it's dangerous. And all work. And work. And work.
    Wheelers....ahhh it happens but not very often. I could tell you where to go and when to go there and your odds would go up dramatically. But I didn't figure that information out by asking someone else on the Internet. Used my thinker....then tried it.
    There are areas of the state with better bear hunting than the two areas you mentioned. I would recommend ditching the motors
    And using your legs. Or maybe use the motor...then your legs? Bears aren't typically fans of exhaust.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Go up into the alpine areas in the fall and find them eating berries. Sunny days are best. Binoculars and spotting scopes are required items. You're looking for a spot darker than night. Be prepared to hike uphill. Way uphill. But at least afterwards you're going down hill, hopefully dragging/packing a bear. Black bears in the blue berries are the stuff of legend when it comes to eating.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Well I figured out your first two problems.
    You have a wheeler
    You have a snow machine

Bears on a sled are tough! Bear hunting is best when the snow is so bad it's dangerous. And all work. And work. And work.
    Wheelers....ahhh it happens but not very often. I could tell you where to go and when to go there and your odds would go up dramatically. But I didn't figure that information out by asking someone else on the Internet. Used my thinker....then tried it.
    There are areas of the state with better bear hunting than the two areas you mentioned. I would recommend ditching the motors
    And using your legs. Or maybe use the motor...then your legs? Bears aren't typically fans of exhaust.

BOOTS in the field man. Works alot better than wheelers and sno gos..... Also lots of time glassing.... Hours and hours.....and of course getting away from everyone else helps too.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Be prepared to hike uphill. Way uphill.
    A couple years ago when I killed that nice blackie, I watched as another one with a bad leg followed a goat up and over the top......in the snow even...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I just woke an old sow up, right here in my living room. She was hibernating on the couch during the news.... I think my laughing woke her up...

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    I just woke an old sow up, right here in my living room. She was hibernating on the couch during the news.... I think my laughing woke her up...
    I don't blame you for laughing at the news these days... Lol

The advise of the previous posters is solid. When it comes to hunting bears, lots of opportunities can be had when hunting them over bait; whether bait = barrel of food, berry patches, or streams. Be invisible and scent properly? How do your hunt bears?

Bears will be out in about a month in the Alaska Range. Maybe earlier on the South side... When I lived in the Northern foothills, the Bears came out and headed straight for the caribou. All the Bears headed the same direction...meat on the hoof...

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Don`t give up! That is what you must keep telling yourself. I hunted in the Talkeetnas with Jake on two separate hunts for interior grizzly(Spring one year and Fall another) with no success. We spent countless hours glassing, wading through snow, and getting windburnt.Lots of hard work!! Jake did all he could to get me a grizz but they were very scarce. That`s just all part of bear hunting. Could have killed any number of black bears, especially on the Spring hunt, but only wanted a grizzly. Was lucky enough to get back to Alaska last Fall and killed a nice blonde grizzly on the Upper Yentna. Didn`t hunt with Jake this time as he was in temporary retirement from guiding. Would not hesitate to hunt with him again though if I am ever lucky enough to get back up to Alaska!!!!

Maclaren River on spring snow. Or further east into those hills.

Why not hunt the gut piles in 20A in September along the Tanana?

go caribou or moose hunting, tag the freezer meat early and then sit the gut piles in areas that you believe or know to be Griz.

Take Jakes advice. Leave the wheeler at home, and actually go hunting. Black bears especially should not be that hard to find, spring or fall, but you have to be out there. I've shot a couple, and could have shot quite a few more. One thing all those encounters had in common was parking the car and walking.

It's time to start thinking about spring bears. I want to see if anyone has hunted spring grizzlies out of the Eureka area. I thought about early April and wanted to see if anyone has hunted there that early and if it would even worth trying, thanks in advance.

i thnk almost everyone has hunted outa the eureka area? most bears collared in that country in late april seem to be down near timber and not up high like some might expect. i'd contact glennallen biologist for more bear info on that country. figure if its easy to access you won't be alone. seems third week of april bears are typically moving regularly. lack of snow this winter so far and an early spring will change all that. rotten snow will mean that access with almost be impossible at certain times during break up.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I know of at least one outfitter that flies the whole area from Talkeetna to glenn allen and when he finds an eligible Griz they go in on snogo's and kill it. They also get hit from denali highway off sleds. The lake louise trails to eureka get hit hard too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input,