Thread: Homer/Anchor/Kenai Questions

Default Homer/Anchor/Kenai Questions

OK guys. I read this forum religiously and have done quite a bit of research on these subjects but thought I'd turn to you guys for some specifics. I'll be coming up end of August into September for 10 days to bomb around on the Peninsula. My sister lives in Homer so that's where I'll be to and fro. I've fished all over from Quartz creek, Kenai, Russian River, Kasilof and the Anchor with moderate results. We will have the Camper Van so lodging and wheels aren't a problem. I'm a huge steelhead / trout guy back here in Michigan with my own Jet boat and mostly fish Centerpin / floats. I do have access to a Jet boat and have done some work on the Middle Kenai fishing floats/beads for trout with moderate success during that same time frame.

Looking for some suggestions on target areas and techniques. My questions are fishing the centerpin is done from an anchored boat here in Michigan and I know that's not the deal on the Kenai. Seems most backtrolled/drifted to obtain their drifts. I use a progressive shot pattern starting with the least amount near the jig/bead progressively getting heavier moving up the shot line towards the float. Same/different in AK? Waste of time to even bring the Centerpin?

I'd really like to learn more about the Anchor. I've struck out so many times fishing there but I've heard some great things about the Steelhead and Silvers that can be in there. Can anyone help dial me in on the Anchor with areas/techniques. I've found some holes and beat them up pretty good with the centerpin and just cant seem to get anything working. Maybe I'm not fishing the right areas or didn't get away from the Road far enough or whatever so any pointers are welcome...

I've heard some great things about the upper Russian river. I'm willing to hike whatever it takes to get into fish. I've been to the falls on the Russian but It seems the person that was explaining where to target fish was referencing areas that would likely be above the falls. Could this be correct or can anyone give me some insight as to the upper stretches and what to expect? Is there even fish above the 1st falls to target? When I fished the Russian it was Low and clear. There isn't holes or slower water to target as is typical of areas around here. Centerpin would be useless it seems. We fished with flyrods and did ok on reds and a couple silvers but ZERO trout.

Anyways...>Hoping for some insight.

Thanks!

Bring your center pin. I use mine all summer for trout and silvers. You can do work with a pin rod vs the traditional fat line.

Hey man, I recognize you from ms. I did better this fall swinging flies on the anchor compared to a pin and jigs. Lots of steelhead. Trout on the Russian are easy, just fling beads a ways under an indicator and you will do fine. Same with Quartz. Get hold of me before you get up via pm. I'll shoot you myself phone number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the responses so far....

Shot you a PM Quest....

If your going to use a jet boat on the Kenai make sure it 50hp or less and that it's a 4 stroke (new technology outboards are fine like an ETec or Optimax, but no old 2 cycles).

Ya, we're all MS boys Fish the Kenai EXACTLY like you fish the Big M. Anchor up on a seem and start running the beads on a pin, unless you're on the middle, we never anchored there, not sure if you can, haven't fished it much. But I still fished it the same way, put the pin in the water and side drifted. Fish the the Russian the same as the small MI rivers, all your steelie gears is perfect fo the rainbows an steel here. Don't run your 15'er float rod out of the boat tho, it's a real pain boating fish. As for the steelies on the Peninsula, I've always done real well on the rivers with small pinks worms under a float on...the pin. If you have time, the coho fishing in Kodiak hereon the road system rivers is amazing at that time frame, 20-30 fish days the norm, 50 fish days aren't uncommon.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Ha... Thats Crazy you guys are both on MS and AOD.

Abel....I'll be on Kodiak for a Sitka/goat boat based hunt next year but not until 1st week of November. Looks like I'll have missed the fishing window for Coho. Do you live on Kodiak? Sounds like we will be there Saturday-Saturday and depending on the Ferry schedule back to Homer AK we might be staying in Kodiak for an extra day or 2 so we might have time to bomb around and check the road system out.

I thought you couldn't anchor up on the Mid/upper Kenai? The boat is rigged for the Kenai, has a 50 Honda so we are covered there.

I've never done well with Pink worms under floats here in MI but they seem popular out west. I'll have to grab a few to try out. I've seen jigs tipped with them that look pretty neat.

Appreciate your responses thus far....One of the reasons I love this site. I've met some great people thru MS and on AOD. I've taken a bunch of guys I met on MS out on the boat in Michigan and have been taken before by others as well. Great place to network and share knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by dhosera View Post
    Ha... Thats Crazy you guys are both on MS and AOD.

Abel....I'll be on Kodiak for a Sitka/goat boat based hunt next year but not until 1st week of November. Looks like I'll have missed the fishing window for Coho. Do you live on Kodiak? Sounds like we will be there Saturday-Saturday and depending on the Ferry schedule back to Homer AK we might be staying in Kodiak for an extra day or 2 so we might have time to bomb around and check the road system out.

I thought you couldn't anchor up on the Mid/upper Kenai? The boat is rigged for the Kenai, has a 50 Honda so we are covered there.

I've never done well with Pink worms under floats here in MI but they seem popular out west. I'll have to grab a few to try out. I've seen jigs tipped with them that look pretty neat.

Appreciate your responses thus far....One of the reasons I love this site. I've met some great people thru MS and on AOD. I've taken a bunch of guys I met on MS out on the boat in Michigan and have been taken before by others as well. Great place to network and share knowledge.
    Yes, I'll be here, no you won't have missed the siler window, I'll catch them thru January, they'll be "Tippy" bright, but still fun. Still lots fo great King fishing in the salt at that time.
    No, can't anchor the middle Kenai lst I checked, and we didn't anchor it. But it's much easier to side drift it with a pin then with a fly rod
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Great info there.... Our trip is booked for Nov. 5-11 2016. Like I said we might have some time stuck on the island waiting on the Ferry Schedule back to Homer from Kodiak. If so we will have the Blue Goose, a 1975 army ambulance converted into a camper van, to bomb around in and check the road system sights and fishing out in.

This Fall 2015 Looks like Ill be confined to the Peninsula bombing around fishing and hunting. Going to be spending some time chasing Blackies in the mountains and spending time on the Salt after Halibut/Salmon and then hitting the Anchor/Kenai and Russian for Trout and Steel.

Appreciate some help MS guys!