Thread: North Karluk River Brown Bear

Default North Karluk River Brown Bear

I'm in the research phase of my Db216 tag.
    I've done several searches on here and not come up with much.
    I'm just looking for experiences with the hunt and would love to hear yours.
    Pm's are fine.
    This is pretty much a once it a lifetime tag, at least for me!
    I would love to hear from you.

Thanks, Kris

Have a great day

Best info is always the biologist for kodiak. If a fall tag contact the fish bio about salmon runs. Check land ownership and contact any native corp. then call the guides in the area and let them know you have a tag. They might be helpful.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I found this online before the permit applications were due. There is a native corporation in the area that owns quite a bit of land. I think near the coast is somewhat open. You should be able to find it pretty easy. They charge a trespass fee based on number of people if I remember right. For one guy, I think this started at about $1500. Memory is a little fuzzy though.

This is a fall tag around Larson Bay. The south and east part is MOSTLY native land. There is refuge land in the northwest corner. Check the map on the ADFG site for that information. There are some nice bears in there. I haven't hunted that particular area myself but know of some people that have and they got nice 9-10 class bears in there. They had native connections so they came in out of Larson Bay and hunted from the northwest part of Larson Bay. Good luck. Always enjoy a Kodiak Bear Tag.

Randy

Your absolutely correct oakman.
    There were easements on there that expired in January.
    There's plenty of refuge land to hunt.
    I was curious what the folks who had the tag hunted it.
    Maybe paying the native corp is the way to go? I really don't know. It's a great tag and going to be a blast regardless of its outcome

Wife has the same tag in the spring. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by quest32a View Post
    Wife has the same tag in the spring. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    If you get a hold of me in November I will tell you everything I know on bear hunting that unit.

Will do for sure. Considering doing a deer hunt down there this fall to get the lay of the land as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk