Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunt Guide Recommendations?

Default Sheep Hunt Guide Recommendations?

I'm a non-resident from Idaho who wants to harvest a sheep. I know I have to hire a guide, but it seems that in Alaska just one person needs to be a licensed guide, and then they can hire "assistant guides" and not even go on the hunt, or much less ever meet the hunter. Assistant guides have low barriers to entry and I am concerned that if I hire someone without a recommendation, my chances are much greater that I might end up with someone that has little sheep hunting experience. So do any of you have recommendations on who to contact to start my trip-of-a-lifetime? I can fly out of anywhere in Alaska, money and time are not major factors, but rather I want to provide myself with my best chance to harvest a legal ram. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Sent you pm

You might want to look up BRWNBR on this forum. I'm not sure what his booking schedule looks like, but you won't find a guy with a better reputation.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Give Riley a call, Great Guy http://www.biggamebackcountryguides.com/

You might give Bob Summers a call over at Deltana Outfitters. Last I heard he had one sheep opening left, which recently became available due to a cancellation. He's first-rate, and this slot might be filled already. 1 (907) 750-4882. Very well-respected outfit. Let Bob know we sent you, okay? We don't receive a commission for the referral, but he wants to know.

HERE'S THE LINK to their FaceBook page. Lots of videos there, and it will get the blood moving!

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

This thread could build momentum and get ugly.....lol

I will caution you to get ideas from here and research them beyond this forum. Everyone has different experiences...and not every guide outfit handles sheep hunting the same way. Like spotting legal sheep from the air, who your guides will be, how many other clients they have in the field(which limits your opportunities) ect ect.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

(edited) I don't know BRWNBR on this site personally, but he does seem very professional and is one I would look at whether on state land or not. It sounds like he has an area that has very limited resident and guiding pressure.(edited)

Some areas to consider......North Eastern Wrangells, South Eastern Wrangells.........Ultima Thule Outfitters.....Paul Clauses outfit. His oufit took the number 1 ram in Alaska this year (the gold award ram at this years WSF show in Reno)......175+BC out of his area. The Brooks range is experiencing some weather related die offs, but Deltana on the Ivashak drainage, Aaron Bloomquists outfit on the upper Canning, Joey Klutch's outfit, Thor Stacy's outfit.....any one of these is a good start in the Brooks......ALL are in a federal concessioned areas. These areas limit the number of outfits guiding a particular drainage, and within that drainage, they are restricted to the number of rams they can take. Some even limit the number of hunters they guide in a particular year in their area. Residents in these areas are in no way limited though.

Just a bit of history.....Im from Idaho.........North Fork area, left in 1992, moved to Utah, then to Alaska in 2000 and have been here ever since. I moved to Alaska for only one reason.....to hunt sheep every year and brown bears as often as legally possible. I will PM you my contact info. Will gladly talk sheep hunting and guiding outfits I personally know and would recommend. Hope to hear from you. Good luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    This thread could build momentum and get ugly.....lol

I will caution you to get ideas from here and research them beyond this forum. Everyone has different experiences...and not every guide outfit handles sheep hunting the same way. Like spotting legal sheep from the air, who your guides will be, how many other clients they have in the field(which limits your opportunities) ect ect.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Jake. I'd hate to see that happen here.

Folks, just a notice here. The OP asked for guide recommendations. If you have one, by all means post it. But posts of other types will be deleted without comment. This is not the place for commentary on the guide system, your views on nonresident guides, perspectives on sheep management, or anything else. Let's keep it to positive recommendations of guide services, so this man can find someone to hunt with, shall we?

Thank you.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    (edited) I don't know BRWNBR on this site personally, but he does seem very professional and is one I would look at whether on state land or not. It sounds like he has an area that has very limited resident and guiding pressure. (edited)

Some areas to consider......North Eastern Wrangells, South Eastern Wrangells.........Ultima Thule Outfitters.....Paul Clauses outfit. His oufit took the number 1 ram in Alaska this year (the gold award ram at this years WSF show in Reno)......175+BC out of his area. The Brooks range is experiencing some weather related die offs, but Deltana on the Ivashak drainage, Aaron Bloomquists outfit on the upper Canning, Joey Klutch's outfit, Thor Stacy's outfit.....any one of these is a good start in the Brooks......ALL are in a federal concessioned areas. These areas limit the number of outfits guiding a particular drainage, and within that drainage, they are restricted to the number of rams they can take. Some even limit the number of hunters they guide in a particular year in their area. Residents in these areas are in no way limited though.

Just a bit of history.....Im from Idaho.........North Fork area, left in 1992, moved to Utah, then to Alaska in 2000 and have been here ever since. I moved to Alaska for only one reason.....to hunt sheep every year and brown bears as often as legally possible. I will PM you my contact info. Will gladly talk sheep hunting and guiding outfits I personally know and would recommend. Hope to hear from you. Good luck on your search.

This is the best sheep advice you could possibly get, I agree with every word.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

All good advice and quality outfits named here. What type of hunt and what type of country do you want to hunt in?? What are your physical abilities? What kind of money you willing to spend? What do you vision as your trip of a lifetime hunt?? I could make recommendations and know most of the guides mentioned however not knowing anything about the hunter makes it tough. A lot of good guides up here but also research more about their area... Logistics, other guide competition, local air taxi competition, number of other clients and guides, etc. WHO is your personal guide is important as they will be your new friend during the hunt. I would like to say just cause he is from another state doesn't mean squat sometimes, but it can in others.
    Other outfits that have good areas and trustworthy are Ellis's, John Peterson, McMahans that I know of.
    If your young and tough try to make a deal that you hunt til you quit or one is dead or wounded.....If a guide is confident enough in his area and you as a hunter they may go for it??
    good hunting
    Jeff Burwell
    Master Guide #162

Someone you might want to check out is Rich Moran. He just books a few hunts a year and does pretty well on sheep. I've seen some he's come back with and they are really nice. His number is 907-301-3832.

I had a fantastic hunt with Rich and know several other guys who have as well. Definitely worth a call.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I hunted with Ray Atkins a while back in the Alaska range and I can not say enough good things about Ray,his outfit,his guide, or his family. Went back in with his guide, Rick Hyce, and killed a nice 36 7/8 ram. Hunted on horseback out of Cantwell. Good luck on your hunt!!!

Guys, thanks for sharing all your great advise. I'm new to this site, and overwhelmed by this communities knowledgeable feedback and assistance. Please feel welcome to PM me regarding what/where/and who you believe I should avoid - as this may be even more helpful than what is posted. I really appreciate all your input and look forward to posting some pics next fall!

Keep in mind that although this site does not allow public negative reviews of commercial services (lots of reasons for this), many of our members contact each other privately if a need for such a review is necessary. As is the case in just about any profession, guiding has some really great ones, and some not so good. It's helpful to note that even private reviews of a negative nature should be cross-checked to verify. You never know if you're getting someone with a personal agenda or an axe to grind. The State of Alaska Big Game Commercial Services Board maintains a list of qualified guides and provides oversight over the guides operating in Alaska. If you're looking for violators and such, they would be a great place to start, along with the Alaska State Troopers.

Regards,

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    (edited)Some areas to consider......North Eastern Wrangells, South Eastern Wrangells.........Ultima Thule Outfitters.....Paul Clauses outfit. His oufit took the number 1 ram in Alaska this year (the gold award ram at this years WSF show in Reno)......175+BC out of his area. The Brooks range is experiencing some weather related die offs, but Deltana on the Ivashak drainage, Aaron Bloomquists outfit on the upper Canning, Joey Klutch's outfit, Thor Stacy's outfit.....any one of these is a good start in the Brooks......ALL are in a federal concessioned areas. These areas limit the number of outfits guiding a particular drainage, and within that drainage, they are restricted to the number of rams they can take. Some even limit the number of hunters they guide in a particular year in their area. Residents in these areas are in no way limited though.
    I would also agree with this post. Very good info.

Brett

I would have to agree with Michael Strahan if theirs an opening with Bob Sommers and Deltana Outfitters that is definitely the outfitter I would go wit, they are top notch on all accounts. Their guides are all seasoned veterans to help ensure success and they will stop at nothing for their clients.

Be careful with wording....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Be careful with wording....
    Ha...!!! for sure...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast