Thread: Copper Basin Year-to-Date Precipitation and Historical Averages

Default Copper Basin Year-to-Date Precipitation and Historical Averages

Precipitation, snowpack, and reservoir basin data reports can be generated here.

As of March 1st, precipitation in the Copper Basin determined to be 78% of 1981-2010 averages. For comparison, last year at this time was 140% of 30-year average. Report can be viewed here.

Really wondering how low the Copper is going to be this June.

hopefully nice and low, probably has more to do with heat this summer and melting glaciers. I dont think the snow pack has that great an effect on water levels after the initial thaw unless its a really significant snow year.

Roger that as summer gets underway and temps rise. I like to fish the subsistence opener, so comparied to last June when the river was lower than I'd ever seen it, I really wonder what it's going to look like this year.

When the fish wheels open in mid-May, it might be ridiculously low.

yeah, last spring the water was super low, do you go down in a boat or fish from shore? The low water sure makes the boat ride down through the canyon a little more enjoyable.

I havnt really noticed a change in the fishing from high water to low water either, seem to always do really well no matter what in a boat. Two years ago when it was flooding when there were some record numbers coming through we slayed them in the high water. High water/low water doesnt seem to effect fishing

have you noticed any patterns with it?

-dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    yeah, last spring the water was super low, do you go down in a boat or fish from shore? The low water sure makes the boat ride down through the canyon a little more enjoyable.

I havnt really noticed a change in the fishing from high water to low water either, seem to always do really well no matter what in a boat. Two years ago when it was flooding when there were some record numbers coming through we slayed them in the high water. High water/low water doesnt seem to effect fishing

have you noticed any patterns with it?

-dan
    Fishing is always good in a boat, as demonstrated here by Kenny...

The fish are always there, but you have to be willing to try different things when it's slow.

Default NOAA Temperature predictions for May-July

Coupled with the already low precipitation we've experienced over the winter.

Might be nice to have a low water year. I agree with Dan that the canyon is sure a lot tamer!
    Since using your on-line tools I have had the best three years of my 45 years of Chitina dipping, Thanks Tony!

Default Updated Predictions: Temp & Precip

Higher than average temps with average precip equals higher river levels. We're a foot higher than we were at this time last year, which is good, but we may say really high levels late June/early July like we did a couple of years ago.