Thread: Now this is a canoe !

Default Now this is a canoe !

Aluminum version of a traditional river canoe from Russia.
    9meters by 1 meter wide

http://forum.motolodka.ru/read.php?f...91088&t=991088

The original wooden canoes are still made by locals of remote villages, though. Interesting concept of the raised rear and front bottom portions.
    The weight of both canoes came in about the same, 250kg.
    manufacturer said it took approximately two weeks and 340 man hours to build. And about $3k in materials.

The movie they mention, "The Happy people" is awesome.
    Those boats are cool, but you know, they are not at all unlike the long, narrow, flare sided boats used on Alaska's rivers until aluminum boats took over.

I did not even know what they meant by Happy people in that thread, but now you said it, i found it on youtube, and started watching. Very interesting.

I don't know about a canoe's but it would be a good boat on some of our big rivers, they did a good job as far as I can tell,
    PS, it looks like one of our old river boats that was on the rivers a long time ago back on the late 50 's an early 60 's
    SID

Happy People is on Neflix for them that have it. Cool documentary. Lots of hand ax-craft, trapping cabin building and long skinny boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Happy People is on Neflix for them that have it. Cool documentary. Lots of hand ax-craft, trapping cabin building and long skinny boats.
    And strange ways to ward off bugs!

I thought the skis were cool. Almost a cross between a snowshoe and a ski.
    Another good documentary, probably better than The Happy People, is called Cree Hunters of Mistassini. Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Another good documentary, probably better than The Happy People, is called Cree Hunters of Mistassini. Very good.
    i also thought the skis were neat in this movie. if you look up altai skis they are making skis that appear very similar

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Cree aint no joke. I've drank a few beers on some first nations reservations with some very talented Cree outdoorsman. Just go to Chetwynd, and watch a first nations rodeo. Their pack horses all decked out in elk skins, they can walk accross there backs and shoot a rifle without getting bucked. Likewise, look up Billy Diamond, was of the biggest fighters of Cree business, and prosperity in all of the history of Canada. He even got Yamaha to build freighter canoes with him. They were called Cree-Yamaha incorporated. Before that, the Waskgananish cree built freighter canoes in rupert house, because chestnuts were worthless trash, not better than a Cree-built canoe at Rupert House. I did alot of historical research on frieghter canoes(somewhat a freighter canoe historian), you wouldn't believe the amount of old school pictures I have. Cree dudes even got rappers haha!: