Thread: Jig hook advice needed

Default Jig hook advice needed

I have some 6oz butterfly jigs that are 6.5 inches long. I am debating where to place the hook. Should I put an assist hook on the nose or should put a hook on the bottom of it? They are going to be rockfish jigs. Where would you place your hook? Top or bottom?

I would go with a single assist hook on the nose. You will donate fewer jigs to the rocks if you bypass the hook on the bottom.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    You will donate fewer jigs to the rocks if you bypass the hook on the bottom.
    Amen to that. If you're trying to save money, you might also use leaders on your assist hooks that are lighter than your main line, so you can break free on the frequent occasions you do hang up, losing the hook but saving the jig.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I would go with a single assist hook on the nose. You will donate fewer jigs to the rocks if you bypass the hook on the bottom.
    What he said... About half way to 2/3rds the length...hook-up ratio would improve for sure.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Yes as was said put them on the nose end. 1/3-1/2 way down.
    I use a solid ring and a split ring. I tie mine with Kevlar thread an d add a drop of super glue to the knot. Then I add some heat shrink tubing.
    I could get by with the tubing or the glue but it is easy so why not do both.
    This is a good tutorial.
    http://youtu.be/8xwbEgxLsSw
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yup, single on the top.

I have some factory jigs with double hooks, but the only "advantage" they seem to have is hooking your net, having a second hook to remove from the fish, or having a wild hook swinging around as the fish flops about and you wondering if you're going to get impaled by it.

I'm a big fan of the Owner gorilla hooks. Yes, they are expensive but they are incredibly sharp and strong.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote: "I use a solid ring and a split ring"

I've looked all over Anchorage for solid rings. I don't see them in catalogs either. Anyone have a source?

B&J should have them, I've bought quite a few there over the years.

Cabela's website lists them, don't know if they stock them in town

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Owner...2462824&rid=20
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Quote: "I use a solid ring and a split ring"

I've looked all over Anchorage for solid rings. I don't see them in catalogs either. Anyone have a source?
    BPS has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    BPS has them.
    Just came from there...nada. Had two associates looking with me. They did have a broad selection of split rings. It really irritates me that big outfits stock every thing under the sun excepting useful items. Good luck finding oval split rings (that accomplish basically the same thing as a solid ring), solid rings or McMahon quick swivel/snaps.

Check with the commercial marine shops. Any that are dealing with folks using jigging machines for cod will have some really heavy split rings in a variety of sizes intended for that gear. Great prices, too. Never had a whisper of a problem with them.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Just came from there...nada. Had two associates looking with me. They did have a broad selection of split rings. It really irritates me that big outfits stock every thing under the sun excepting useful items. Good luck finding oval split rings (that accomplish basically the same thing as a solid ring), solid rings or McMahon quick swivel/snaps.
    I know Ive seen them there, I think they were in the lure building aisle. They weren't near the split rings /hooks/swivels and stuff like I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Check with the commercial marine shops. Any that are dealing with folks using jigging machines for cod will have some really heavy split rings in a variety of sizes intended for that gear. Great prices, too. Never had a whisper of a problem with them.
    The problem with split rings is they will fray the line to the hook.

If you can't find them locally, there are plenty of places on line that carry them.

Got my last solid rings at B&J. That was awhile back, haven't looked recently.

B&J has one pack left, I was just in there today and bought some
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The problem with split rings is they will fray the line to the hook.
    Just before the knot closes all the way, I add a dab of gel-type super glue, then pull it tight. Never had one slip or fray.