Thread: Float Trip

Default Float Trip

Doing a self guided float trip on the Moraine last week in August with a friend. Looking for big Bows. Am an eastern fly fisherman, so not familiar with AK and looking for suggestions on flys, sizes, patterns and any other suggestions. Thanks

Is this your first DIY float trip to AK? I hope you're comfortable with a high volume of brown bears in very close proximity.

That Crick has a few technical spots, and is a crowded fishery, by SW AK standards. Beads/Flesh will be your go to rigs.

Make sure the bear fence is functioning and fully charged.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

There is a reason Moraine was called "Bear Creek" for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer1944 View Post
    Doing a self guided float trip on the Moraine last week in August with a friend. Looking for big Bows. Am an eastern fly fisherman, so not familiar with AK and looking for suggestions on flys, sizes, patterns and any other suggestions. Thanks

Beads and flesh, 6mm size. I would probably take a few egg sucking leaches, or simply a few articulated leaches and slide a bead on first. Take a few elk hair caddis just for grins. Most of your action will be on beads. Sometimes I throw a sculpin, olive or black. I like Tony's sex dungeon. Did I say, think beads.
    Morain can blow out, do you have a backup plan? If we have a normal summer we should have a relatively low water year unless we get a lot of snow in April and May.
    Which air taxi service are you using?
    Yes, you will see grizzly, do bring a fence. I think the **** bears are a little less active at midday, but that's relative. When I'm floating I like to make my big meal then, clean up and then move to your night camp.
    Have fun.