Thread: Hey, New to Alaska Looking for good info about Laws and rules!

Default Hey, New to Alaska Looking for good info about Laws and rules!

Hey all, Name is Ryan

I Have been stationed at Jber by Anchorage.

I am in the Army, and I am looking for info for hunting.

I want to do open hunting both big and small game. I do not want to do guided, myself and a buddy who also just got here, want to do some 3 days hunts in open hunting areas.

I would like to know some good areas near us as well as some web sites or places I can go to, to get info for hunting in Alaska, so we do not get hit for breaking laws and rules.

I did a bunch of research so i know a good bit, but there is a lot of info that contradicts other info i see. I am looking for well educated info.

Thanks in advanced!

Alaska fishing and hunting regulations, you can also contact Fish and game for more information to a particular area.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

If you have specific questions regarding conflicting information, feel free to post them here and someone on here may be able to clarify it for you.

In regards to needing to be a resident for a year, i have seen info stating this is a must ,and some stating you can get a non resident military tag.

Also, in regards to needing a guide, i would assume there are open hunting areas that i do not need a guide, i feel confident in my ability to find my way!

Quote Originally Posted by la2rscout View Post
    In regards to needing to be a resident for a year, i have seen info stating this is a must ,and some stating you can get a non resident military tag.

Also, in regards to needing a guide, i would assume there are open hunting areas that i do not need a guide, i feel confident in my ability to find my way!
    For residency, you have to be physically in Alaska for 365 days before you are considered a resident. That goes for everyone, military or not. The difference that military makes is that you can get a special price for the non-resident license at the resident price. Other than that, the non-resident requirements still apply.

As far as the guide, that depends on the species you are hunting for. Some species specifically require a guide (or someone within 2nd degree of kindred who is a resident) for all non-residents. Other species, the use of a guide is optional. It is pretty well spelled out in the big game hunting regulations on the ADF&G website here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting See page 11 specifically.

EDIT: corrected the non-resident military license price.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    For residency, you have to be physically in Alaska for 365 days before you are considered a resident. That goes for everyone, military or not. The difference that military makes is that you can get a special price for the non-resident license at the resident price. Other than that, the non-resident requirements still apply.

As far as the guide, that depends on the species you are hunting for. Some species specifically require a guide (or someone within 2nd degree of kindred who is a resident) for all non-residents. Other species, the use of a guide is optional. It is pretty well spelled out in the big game hunting regulations on the ADF&G website here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ations.hunting See page 11 specifically.

EDIT: corrected the non-resident military license price.
    Awesome thanks all give that a read and get back to yall if i have any questions!

la2rscout,

Welcome to Alaska and thanks for your service. The state of alaska is really big in size and diverse in animals and terrain. For 3 day hunts you will really limit your self for big game to the road system. Lots of weekend road hunters doing the same thing limited the road system. there are places to look at for this especially certain times of the year. The base (JBER)offer some boats and other equipment that can help you get off the road system, you should look into these. The folks on this site will help you figure out areas that may fit what you want to hunt for and the timing to be successful. You may even hook up with some folks on here that will take you under there wing to guide you and keep you out of trouble. The drawing permits have already been done for this next season, the draw hunts are usually the most sought after hunts so they limit the number of hunters for certain species of game. Find what type animals you want to harvest and learn what you can on that species to have your best success. Good luck and ask away, we all have our way of doing things but most on here are willing to share.

Those of us not born here went through the same process at some point. This question or variations of it have been asked on this forum a lot. If you narrow down a topic use the search function to find information.
    One thing that helped when I first arrived was attending the sessions available at the Sportsmanís show. Take a look at their schedule here to see whatstrikes your interest:
    http://greatalaskasportsmanshow.com/
    http://greatalaskasportsmanshow.com/2014%20GASS%20Events.pdf

Good luck,
    Dave

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...icenseinfo.pdf

la2rscout, link above may provide more info on military hunting licenses even if you are not yet a resident.

Also, JBER and other bases offer hunting seminars to explain our hunting regs and what is and is not allowed, might check into that too.

Welcome to the forum and good luck,

Well said Dave. I second your sentiment about the seminars at the sportsmans show. I went to as many as I could for about three years. Then it started getting a bit repetative but overall, they are a great resource. I even went to Mr Strahan's seminars a few times. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Those of us not born here went through the same process at some point. This question or variations of it have been asked on this forum a lot. If you narrow down a topic use the search function to find information.
    One thing that helped when I first arrived was attending the sessions available at the Sportsmanís show. Take a look at their schedule here to see whatstrikes your interest:
    http://greatalaskasportsmanshow.com/
    http://greatalaskasportsmanshow.com/2014%20GASS%20Events.pdf

Good luck,
    Dave