Thread: Private pilot certificate

Default Private pilot certificate

I've been wanting to start flying for some time now and the time came when my wife had heard enough of it. I just spent 2 weeks in Arizona flying. I now have 20 hours logged with a CFI and need to continue. Who should I go to in Fairbanks to finish it up? In Az I flew a 172. Eventually (ASAP) I will be seeking a tail wheel endorsement as well. Thoughts? Suggestions? Who would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    I've been wanting to start flying for some time now and the time came when my wife had heard enough of it. I just spent 2 weeks in Arizona flying. I now have 20 hours logged with a CFI and need to continue. Who should I go to in Fairbanks to finish it up? In Az I flew a 172. Eventually (ASAP) I will be seeking a tail wheel endorsement as well. Thoughts? Suggestions? Who would you recommend?
    I have not flown with them yet, but I will be next month. They have just got a Citabria and will be offering TW training.

http://www.proflitealaska.com/
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I did some training with Proflite. There are some good instructors with lots of knowledge. It's a good flight school because none of the flight instructors are time builders, they live and fly in Alaska, not your typical Cessna 152 CFI's like down south. They have several instructors, find the one you like best/personality. Some I like better than others. Having a tailwheel airplane at Proflite will be fun.

Did you fly with Sheble's aviation out of Bullhead City Arizona? Just curious because that is who I received my private pilot license with 15 years ago. I am curious why you didn't finish it up down there. A tailwheel endorsement should only take a few hours of flying. But it's gonna take you awhile to get the additional 20-25 hours on a Cessna to get your license. It's been quite awhile since I've flown though. I haven't flown since my first born son was born over 12 years ago. I'm hoping after all my kids grow up and move out to start back up again. Too expensive of a hobby with a family to raise.

I'm a very busy man with work and building a house on my own after hours. We went on a two week vacation. That's all the time I had to work on it was two weeks. I've booked my first flight with Proflight for this Saturday morning. We'll see how it goes. I flew twice a day for almost two weeks absorbing all I could. It was fun. I flew with Airplane Rental Ventures at Falcon Field in Mesa. It's a very small operation with only two CFI's.

I'm a very busy man with work and building a house on my own after hours. We went on a two week vacation. That's all the time I had to work on it was two weeks. I've booked my first flight with Proflight for this Saturday morning. We'll see how it goes. I flew twice a day for almost two weeks absorbing all I could. It was fun. I flew with Airplane Rental Ventures at Falcon Field in Mesa. It's a very small operation with only two CFI's.
    I'm assuming you've already soloed right? If so, why do you need a CFI? I know you have to get some flight time with a CFI for X-country and flying at night etc., but for the most part you can still get some hours on your own, you just need to rent a plane. So build up your hours and then after you get your license start looking for a CFI that gives a taildragger endorsement. It's Alaska man, it shouldn't be too hard to find a CFI with a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I'm assuming you've already soloed right? If so, why do you need a CFI? I know you have to get some flight time with a CFI for X-country and flying at night etc., but for the most part you can still get some hours on your own, you just need to rent a plane. So build up your hours and then after you get your license start looking for a CFI that gives a taildragger endorsement. It's Alaska man, it shouldn't be too hard to find a CFI with a plane.
    If you don't think he needs a CFI, what's the plan to get signed off to take the check ride?

If you don't think he needs a CFI, what's the plan to get signed off to take the check ride?
    Or sign him off for his 90 day ( or less) solo endorsements, night flight endorsements, different aircraft endorsements, cross country airport approvals and so on. Oh yeah there is also that pesky written instruction and test endorsement.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Or sign him off for his 90 day ( or less) solo endorsements, night flight endorsements, different aircraft endorsements, cross country airport approvals and so on. Oh yeah there is also that pesky written instruction and test endorsement.
    Take it easy. I never said he will NEVER need a CFI again. I was merely saying he can take care of a lot of it on his own. I can see some people are a little uptight on this forum. I guess I'll go peruse somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Take it easy. I never said he will NEVER need a CFI again. I was merely saying he can take care of a lot of it on his own. I can see some people are a little uptight on this forum. I guess I'll go peruse somewhere else.
    Just pointing out there is much in life to go cheap on,, flight training is NOT one of those things. The first couple hundred hours is the most critical and IMHO a pilot can't have too much training, and I also recommend learning from more than one instructor. They all are human and have both good things to teach you, but also bad habits as well.

I tip my hat to you for learning tailwheel in a few hours, took me much, much longer than that and I still feel I could use some more instruction.
    Founding Member

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Just wanted to chime in on continuing training...After flying for over 38 years and professionally for 35 plus....I NEVER STOP LEARNING...I still like to go out with the old hands and learn some new tricks...I am not sure that you can rent a plane anywhere without a local checkout, (read this as CFI)...so go learn the local area, local rules, and a new airplane, (to you)...It all counts for the magic hrs required by FAA...Most important is not getting hrs but learning what YOUR personal limitations are and how to operate safely...Fly safe...its a special gift we learn and not all can master...

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just pointing out there is much in life to go cheap on,, flight training is NOT one of those things. The first couple hundred hours is the most critical and IMHO a pilot can't have too much training, and I also recommend learning from more than one instructor. They all are human and have both good things to teach you, but also bad habits as well.

I tip my hat to you for learning tailwheel in a few hours, took me much, much longer than that and I still feel I could use some more instruction.
    Hey Stid. I get what you're saying. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots. Again, I wasn't suggesting never using a CFI, just merely encouraging him to continue to build his mandatory hours with or without one. Of course he should always be safe and be sure he gets the proper training. I think it took me about 5-10 hours to get my tailwheel endorsement. Again that was over 12 years ago though. It's funny the guy who wrote off my tailwheel endorsement was an ol timer who had thousands of hours under his belt. He took me up to about 3000 feet and told me to do stalls over and over and over for hours. It's funny but I remember learning more from that ol timer than my original instructor down in Arizona. A good landing is really just a controlled stall. A wheel landing is a little harder because you have to keep up your speed and force the plane down nose first. Once you get over the fear that you are going to shove the prop into the runway it really isn't all that bad.

Thanks for the responses. No I've not soloed yet. Close though. Something about being worried about letting the plane come to the ground I've not mastered yet. It will come. I'm stoked to learn something new. It's amazing the things you can see from the sky. I think that's the part I am most excited about.

Did you ever get in with pro-flight? How did you like them? Considering a PPL.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk80 View Post
    Did you ever get in with pro-flight? How did you like them? Considering a PPL.
    I have been flying with Pro-flite, I have enjoyed my experience so far. They seem to run a nice school and the students all seem happy.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have been flying with Pro-flite, I have enjoyed my experience so far. They seem to run a nice school and the students all seem happy.
    Awesome. Thanks man.

Yes I have been flying with Proflight. It's been a ton of fun. Ill probably do my first cross country flight next week-weather permitting. I saw you there once stid you were coming in and I was headed out. I recognize you from your pics. You probably wouldn't know me though.