Thread: DE 318 Etolin island elk

Default DE 318 Etolin island elk

Hello everybody, I have an elk tag for DE318 bow hunt this September. Has anyone else been on this hunt? The success rates are very low so any info that someone has would be helpful. I have done some of my own research on places, flights and gear but no amount of research can replace experience. thanks

I believe there are a few us on this site that have that tag this year, myself included. I've never done the hunt myself, so I don't have any experience to share, but I'm happy to talk about ideas and strategies. If nothing else, it's good to know who else will be on the island and when so we can hopefully not mess each others' hunts up. Feel free to send me a PM.

-Steven

I have drawn this tag twice and have yet to step foot on the island :-( I have a friend that had a cabin on the island who set up a camp for me, including a small boat, tent, stove, etc. and circumstances made it that I could not go at the last minute. The island is pretty rugged from what I hear. There are some really big antlers there too. Most of the success in the bow season is up really high. The rifle season too. Be prepared to do some hard uphill climbing and have fun :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Hello everyone, I have also drawn the DE318 tag, I'm not sure if I'm going to take my boat or charter a flight from Ketchikan. I have heard that it is a hard six hour hike to the hunting grounds. I'm up for the hike in, but I'm not sure about the 6 or 8 trips to pack meat out. If anyone wants to start talking about splitting the cost of a flight out from the the lake 1314 area I'm willing to pitch in.
    I will also be hunting Moose in the 13D area in the second half of September, so I'm planning on getting to Etolin Island early and hunting for about 10 or 12 days.
    John

Fly into one of the Alpine Lakes in the really mountainous areas in the 'southern chunk'. Stick to the west half of the island. They pretty much stay in the alpine until pushed down by snow. You'll know your in the right area when you see the vast trail systems (look like cattle trails) they have created in alpine areas. Good luck, that's a very difficult hunt.
    But all conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and touch, and when enough have seen and touched, there is no wilderness left to cherish.
    -- Aldo Leopold

There are threads on this subject here is one.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...chery-Elk-2014