Thread: Twentymile & Placer (Turnagain Arm) - Prop tunnel hulls?

Default Twentymile & Placer (Turnagain Arm) - Prop tunnel hulls?

I know folks run jets up these two rivers, but who has run an outboard prop on a tunnel hull on either of them? I'm unfamiliar with the typical channel depths in these areas. How far up river is the tidal influence? Given the flat terrain and 30+ foot tides, I imagine that a lot of gettting in and out of either river is open twice a day and closed in between.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have run both in a jet and wouldn't attempt either in a prop, tunnel or not.
    20 mile has lots of timber, stumps, and sweepers.
    Placer is skinny, has a 2' drop off (like a beaver dam, but not exactly) on the overflow side.
    Again, just my 2 cents, its a tough run in a jet boat.
    Bk

One of the posters here has some video of him running his mini jet boat up placer, and I know he took it up 20 mile a ways.

From what I've heard, neither river is appropriate for a prop, unless you just want to replace a bunch of props.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I was under the impression that these rivers were mud bottom through the lower sections with notable tidal influence. A tunnel prop can run in about 8 inches of water. I have other reports of casual boaters going 12 miles up the twentymile before grounding with a Jon and an outboard jet. Just looking for some other reports to confirm or deny.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I've run the 20 Mile obstacle course up to the "no fishing" marker for years in a 12' porta-bote /6 hp. prop. It's a shallow draft rig, and I still have the same prop...no paint left, though. If not for a Mac's river runner prop/skeg guard I doubt I could say that. Launching at other than high tide or a few hours either way can be sporty. I've seen more guys tear boat and trailer stuff up trying to launch/retrieve there than I have I running the river. I wouldn't take a prop rig of much value up there.

The rare prop tunnel if setup well will have the entire circle of the prop above the bottom of the hull. If you have a Rockhopper protector and have a manual tilt on your motor (or have disconnected the power tilt) you can run almost anywhere. The deal wit the Twenty mile and an few others are places you have to skip over shallow spots, and it is in these places where your motor might not kick up and you will grind your prop. In these places a jet will "pump gravel" but still provide thrust to get you back into deeper water. I bet a surface drive mud motor would be alright.

I don't know if they still operate but a few years ago my father-in-law and I ran up there with Glacier Jet and it was totally worth the money to see where to go. We had a blast in their Sportjet rig with a T-1(?) steel plate bottom rig, and oh yes the captn' used that steel plate a few times!

Sobie2

Going to run my copperhead up there this year..should be fun..biggest fear is that guy coming around that bend 50mph..

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Both rivers are a blast to run.
    Not much time for lolly gaggin' once you get close to, and beyond, the fork.
    20mile proper has a helluva can opener in it a little ways past the fork. My buddy found it last year and spent 3K in welding to fix it.
    Be careful...

I would not even think about running the 20 mile with a prop, ran it with a tunnel hull jet and that would be the least I would use again.

Quote Originally Posted by keepin r' wet View Post
    I would not even think about running the 20 mile with a prop, ran it with a tunnel hull jet and that would be the least I would use again.
    I forgot to mention that my neighbor has a small jon boat/non tunnel jet outfit. He left the hangy down part about 1/2 way up. At least, if you can dodge the sweepers, etc. the river spits you out at the launch area. I've also had the experience Duckhunter01 describes...the big boat going fast that didn't see me until the last second....

Well, maybe the train up to Spencer with a packraft to return isn't such a bad idea after all. I have a great dislike of jets and I'm not going to go get one just to be able to access that one river.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!