Thread: Questions for certified A+P/Pilots…..

Default Questions for certified A+P/Pilots…..

I caught the flying bug this winter out in Bristol Bay. I got to check out a plane that was being rebuilt in a shop and thought that looks like a neat way to make a living. I am very interested in getting into flying, looking to start taking flying classes this summer if time permits. My questions are how many of you gained your A+P working for a certified person? Would you have done better going to school? Is there consistent work in the Kenai/Soldotna areas? As far as i have gathered it takes 30 months to obtain your A+P or 18 months for each of on the job training, is this correct?

A little about myself: I have been a Electrician for 9 years working all over the state. I went to school straight out of high school for Industrial Electricity at AVTEC. I have become bored of working in the oilfield and spending weeks or months away from home to make a buck, and am looking to try something else while I am young. I know that if its not for me I already have a good job to fall back on. I have a little experience working on engines mostly my own snow machine and vehicles, plus have helped work on turbines and generators. I understand that if I did obtain a job the pay would be much less than what I am making now, that ill be low man on the totem pole, and that it takes time to obtain a certificate plus pass the test. I have already done this being a electrical apprentice for 8000 hours on the job experience and taking the required testing and schooling. I have had my journeyman license for 4 years, and I also know what its like to train someone who doesn't know much. My main goal is to gain a A+P and a pilots license, buy papered parts and build/rebuild airplanes to sell like cessna's and super cubs for myself. Is this a reasonable goal or is it a bit out there?

I use to work for a fellow that was going to A+P school at Merrill Field, he was a high time fixed wing pilot at the time and middle aged, I flew a helicopter for him, he has all the work he can handle, he winters in Florida now and dose a lot of annuals and pre purchase inspections along with his float flying! Its doable if you want to do it, the program he did was a 3 year thing if I remember right! Go over to Merrill and just check it out, all its going to do is cost you some gas money from were ever in Kenai and meal or two long with a night in a motel! Or call them up, or google search it!

Its all possible. Its not a quick or short road, nor does the Feds Against Aviation make it easy-- but little worth doing is easy…..
    Probably not gonna get rich either but if you really wanna do it, do it.

You'll probably be happier if you do it as a side gig. IE Work for someone on the side and get A&P time…..while you make real money at your skilled trade. Need to find someone to take you under their wing sooner than later.

\Good luck -- and charge on if its what you really wanna do.