Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: "MANHUNT"............how to get updated information.......???

  1. #1

    Default "MANHUNT"............how to get updated information.......???

    Is there a way to get the most current information on events that involve Law Enforcement........???

    This is the second time in the last few years that there is a Manhunt in the general area. Is there a "BEST" method as in scanner, special radio, internet site, etc. for getting current updates.......???

  2. #2
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Is there a way to get the most current information on events that involve Law Enforcement........???

    This is the second time in the last few years that there is a Manhunt in the general area. Is there a "BEST" method as in scanner, special radio, internet site, etc. for getting current updates.......???
    "BEST" is probably subjective. Personally, I'd just pick up the phone and ask them.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, that is one option, however I am NOT going to call them every hour for an update.

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    "BEST" is probably subjective. Personally, I'd just pick up the phone and ask them.

  4. #4
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yes, that is one option, however I am NOT going to call them every hour for an update.
    Maybe call law enforecement and ask them the same question
    JOHN

  5. #5
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Subscribe to "nixle.us" and they will send email updates based on your zip code. However, if the cops don't publish an update nixle will have nothing to send out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default

    Well.........I did that and they said turn on the TV. I said, "We don't get TV reception here". I asked do you know what is happening with the Manhunt.....??? Answer, "No, we don't know". She (The dispatcher, for AST, located in Wasilla) suggested that I call Soldotna AST.

    I am guessing that some social media thingie, like faceplant or facebook is going to be the most useful tool. In the past I have called the AST (NON-911) phone number and when it is answered by Wasilla, then then give me a Phone Number for AST, which when you call, you get Fairbanks AST dispatch. And they will suggest I call AST in Girdwood. They (Girdwood AST) are not manned around at night.

    As near as I can figure all calls including "NON" 911 calls go to Wasilla.

    It seems odd to me that if there is a forest fire, a manhunt, etc. in the area that I can not get information.



    Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Maybe call law enforecement and ask them the same question

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    I personally don't have a Facebook account, but I have heard that this one keeps updates on law enforcement issues...
    https://www.facebook.com/akdispatch

    There is also a recording of the actual dispatched calls from APD over scanner but I don't know about for AST.

    Stay safe,
    BEE

  8. #8
    Supporting Member bullbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mean streets of Fairview
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Good post Everything is a secret anymore. I live in one of the darkest places in Anchorage and often wonder what's up. I have a scanner and they used to be good to listen to. It has changed and the scanner is quiet even when there is activity in the hood.

    Not long ago the cops had many streets blocked off. I was 2 blocks from the house and had to ask permission to get thru. I asked what was up and they "couldn't talk about it". I asked if there is a danger I should be aware of and they would not say. I found out later it was an armed man running from them.

    ***? Is public safety no longer part of the mission? If my tax assets (police) are working my area, I should have access to what they are looking for. Period. They seem more worried about covering their ass than letting the common citizen know what's happening.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

  9. #9

    Default

    Well, after several hours of digging.......I find the manhunt is still in progress. SO.......why did I start this thread in this Section of this forum......??? Because this is one of the issues with residing rural or remote. You are 100% on your own for safety from animals with four or two legs.

    However this is not only my problem, as I shifted yesterday afternoon, to "Code" bright Orange, and later to "Code" Bright Red after 7:30PM last night. My lack of accurate information endangers anyone or anything (Two or Four legged) who innocently happens into the area.

    It is strangely like living alone in a tent on a salmon stream on the Alaska Peninsula in October.....

    Yes, there are ROE (Rules of Engagement).........but some how the ROE seem to flow better in the daylight than the dark of night.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Good post Everything is a secret anymore. I live in one of the darkest places in Anchorage and often wonder what's up. I have a scanner and they used to be good to listen to. It has changed and the scanner is quiet even when there is activity in the hood.

    Not long ago the cops had many streets blocked off. I was 2 blocks from the house and had to ask permission to get thru. I asked what was up and they "couldn't talk about it". I asked if there is a danger I should be aware of and they would not say. I found out later it was an armed man running from them.

    ***? Is public safety no longer part of the mission? If my tax assets (police) are working my area, I should have access to what they are looking for. Period. They seem more worried about covering their ass than letting the common citizen know what's happening.
    The old police scanners don't work anymore. They have changed to a new system. You can still access it online, but will need something like a smart phone or computer to connect.

    Here is a facebook page that monitors the scanner and people post a lot of the activity: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1442851846001932/

    Here is a link to the APD page where they have information for subscribing to the "nixle" notification service and also a link to the online APD scanner. http://www.muni.org/departments/poli...s/default.aspx

    Link directly to the scanner itself: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/15468/web

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •