Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06

Default 30-06

I've got a question and wondering what you all think.

Currently I have a 22" barrel 30-06 that I'm happy with. It's a half MOA rifle. I'm considering getting a second one with a 26" barrel to take advantage of some of the slower powders and heavy bullets.

This would be a two 30-06 combo with the longer one being used out to 600 meters on deer and elk. I know there are better rounds but I'm not wanting a magnum. Because of using a left hand action I'm limited to using a long action.

So what say you all? The 22" is set up for woods hunting. The 26" would be for more traditional western hunting where longer shots are possible. Someone told me I'm wasting my time with a 30-06. I'd like to know what you all think.

I also have a 6.5x284 and .338 Win Mag in the battery. I know the 6.5x284 is good at longer ranges but the 30-06 has started calling to me and this is a custom rifle.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AZVince View Post
    Someone told me I'm wasting my time with a 30-06. I'd like to know what you all think.
    Someone told me something ridiculous once too. Small world, eh?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Someone told me something ridiculous once too. Small world, eh?
    Yes, it is.
    I'm looking to gain the advantages of the 30-06 by having two with different setups. As I spend more time delving in to shooting I find myself drawn more and more to the traditional rounds.

For rifles intentionally planned for longer ranges I'd think it best to consider what bullet(s) you'll be using and build/design a rifle from there. There are several .30 caliber bullets that will perform well at long range, and out to 600 yards it's tough to beat the 155 Lapua Scenar for a lot of reasons. Their design lends themselves to accuracy and high B.C. which is what you want and the '06 will push them fast enough to make them effective. Having seen a (.264)139 Scenar on a fair-to-middlin moose and the (.308)155 Scenar on a better than average brown bear, I'd be at peace using them on anything in NA.

Still, for an intentional LR rifle I'd be thinking something .264 or .284 diameter. Those calibers provide excellent bullets with high B.C. and can deliver as good/better results than the 30/06 with less recoil. Less recoil means more shooting, which should mean better shooting and thats the key to anything LR. A 30/06 can do it, in that there is no doubt, but others can do it more easily and that would drive me to another cartridge for your stated task.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

...I find myself drawn more and more to the traditional rounds.
    Me too. I'm recently enjoying exploring the virtues of the 6.5x55 loaded up toward 3000 fps... Loooooooong bullets and slooooooow powder are very cool!

1Cor of course makes very skookum points, as usual, about LR ballistics.

And I don't see why being a southpaw should necessarily limit you to a long action for a custom (?).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Me too. I'm recently enjoying exploring the virtues of the 6.5x55 loaded up toward 3000 fps... Loooooooong bullets and slooooooow powder are very cool!

1Cor of course makes very skookum points, as usual, about LR ballistics.

And I don't see why being a southpaw should necessarily limit you to a long action for a custom (?).
    Because the rifle bender only builds left hand actions in long action calibers.
    Call it a semi custom if you desire.

Yes, it is.
    I'm looking to gain the advantages of the 30-06 by having two with different setups. As I spend more time delving in to shooting I find myself drawn more and more to the traditional rounds.

I am getting to traditional for my own good. Own 5 30-06s and not a one manufactured after 1970.

So what say you all? The 22" is set up for woods hunting. The 26" would be for more traditional western hunting where longer shots are possible. Someone told me I'm wasting my time with a 30-06. I'd like to know what you all think.
    I went the other way long ago in a different caliber. I got really fascinated with the 257 Roberts back in the late 1950's and early 1960's. In fact the first rifle I owned as a kid was a pre-64 M70 in 257 Roberts. Why, oh why, did I ever let it go down the road?

Being "dedicated" to that round and recognizing it was seriously underloaded as a factory round, and when I got to start reloading in about 1961, I naturally tried to take care of that. Managed it to a noticeable degree, but there were still those 25-06 wildcats floating around (this was before it became a factory round) and the 257 Weatherby. I just wanted more from the 257.

One of the indictments of Remington in bringing out the factory 257 was that they shoved the bullet deep down into the case to make it fit "short" actions, contrary to Ned Roberts and other originals who used a longer action and seated bullets out to 3" overall. Got a little jingle in my pocket in 1972 and used my contacts at RCBS to have a rifle built on a Rem 700 LH long action with a Shilen match barrel chambered to seat bullets out to 3" OAL, rather than the 2.75" of standard factory rounds. Of course I'd make the barrel long in my pursuit of vapor trails. It may have been the only LH 26" barreled long-throat 257 Roberts in the country.

It was a wonder to behold on game, on the range and on the chronograph. It easily pushed up to within about 5% of what a 25-06 would do with a whole lot less powder, while delivering 1/4- 1/2" groups at 100 yards and sub- 1" at 200 yards.

Carried that thing all over the map and shot all sorts of game with it from Coues whitetails to elk. No complaints about performance.

But then the rifle moved to Alaska with me in 1975. Still hunted the heck out of it, but that long barrel started being a PITA, or seeming so anyway after carrying a lot of other rifles with shorter barrels. Finally had it cropped to 22", restocked, and refinished. It's groups have opened a little these 40 years later, but it still just breaks an inch at 100. Velocity loss in going from 26" to 22" was around 100fps with all bullet weights.

Do I miss the longer barrel and extra 100fps? Nope. But does that mean you shouldn't do what you want with an 06? Nope again.

I can really relate to what you're trying to do, and I say go for it with all your heart. If someday you'd rather have a little shorter barrel or a little more gee whizz in ballistics for long shooting, those are easy fixes.

But in the meantime, build that rifle and love every second of it. We're not talking common sense or ballistic advantages here. We're talking love of guns, and there's nothing better than getting what you really want.

I am to old to hump a heavy long rifle around anymore but you have youth on your side so why not use it. If not robbing bread from the table a man should have the gun he wants. Where would we be today if nay sayers were always listened to.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks guys.
    I'm wanting to get deep into the 30-06 world.
    I have the 6.5x284 and .338 Win Mag too, which makes the most sense ballistics wise, but I'm looking for that one gun for all situations and this is a way of determining it. I'll probably end up with a 24" 30-06 when all is said and done.

There is nothing wrong with the 30/06. It has been performing very well for a looong time and unless game starts wearing body armor, it will keep working well for a lot longer. My "traditional" rifle is a pre 64 Win 70 in 300H&H with a 26" barrel. It's not the fastest, lightest, shortest or any of those other necessary things but I like it and to me that's what counts. A light weight 6.5x55 with a 22" barrel would make a very nice deer rifle though.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    A light weight 6.5x55 with a 22" barrel would make a very nice deer rifle though.
    Deer...elk....moose....bear...sheep.......
    #Resist

BEWARE the man with only one rifle, he may know how to use it..! I'm not sure there is a more versatile/all-around caliber than the 30-06. You'll probably not see enough increase in muzzle velocity or accuracy to warrant the build. However that doesn't mean you shouldn't build it, there aren't any legal requirements to purchase or build a rifle yet. Consider the 280 Remington for your build. Everybody deserves a new toy now and then......LUCK..!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Currently I have a 22" barrel 30-06 that I'm happy with. It's a half MOA rifle. I'm considering getting a second one with a 26" barrel to take advantage of some of the slower powders and heavy bullets.

This would be a two 30-06 combo with the longer one being used out to 600 meters on deer and elk. I know there are better rounds but I'm not wanting a magnum. Because of using a left hand action I'm limited to using a long action.

I also have a 6.5x284 and .338 Win Mag in the battery. I know the 6.5x284 is good at longer ranges but the 30-06 has started calling to me and this is a custom rifle.

Vince

If I had a 30-06, it would be like the one you have already. 22" barrel, shooting 180 to 200-220 grain bullets for the shorter ranges and bear medicine.

I agree, that a LR rifle should have a long barrel, even in a non-magnum chambering.

You could have a 2nd 30-06 for long range, and there may be an advantage in having the same cartridge in both, but as you said, it isn't the best LR cartridge. That because you would be shooting 150-165 grain bullets, and IMO, a LR cartridge should be one that uses "heavy for caliber" bullets, at the higher velocities

But, that's probably, not a biggie, except in my mind.

For a LR cartridge, I would choose a 7mm Mag, but you said you didn't want a Magnum. I would point out that the 7mm Mag. recoil is quite moderate. And, a 26" barrel would likely help a 7 Mag more than a 30-06.

I like long barrels, and have 2 rifles with that length, one a 7mm Wby, and a 280 Rem. My 7mm Remington Mag has a 24" barrel.

280 is another great choice for a LR rifle. All 3 are very versatile to hand load. You can load them down to 7x57 velocities up to the full power of the cartridge. The 7mm Rem. is very easy to load for. I use a Neck Only sizing die.

It sounds like you're comfortable with 30-06 and I can't see anything very wrong with that cartridge, for all-around use. If you chose 30-06 and found the barrel to be too long for you, just have it cut off, and re-crowned. It's not a huge expense. That was my thinking when I went with 26" on my 280 .

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'll probably end up with a 24" 30-06 when all is said and done.
    Here's something that may seem a little off the wall to you:

Have you considered going with a Ruger #1? Due to the shorter action, lots longer barrels are possible without OAL being cumbersome. The standard 26" barrel doesn't bother me at all, and it might be possible to go as long as 30" without too much hassle.

If I was wanting to build a "super" 06, I'd be tempted to go that way, probably even having an AI chamber. AI wouldn't make all that much difference in a shorter barrel, but might get real interesting in something longer.

Idle thinking about how I'd do it myself, but this is YOUR dream gun that's on the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Have you considered going with a Ruger #1?...
    ...Or a Browning/Winchester High Wall? The Miroku built guns are VERY nice, much nicer than the Ruger #1, IMHO. Factory barrel length is 28", but a guy could certainly put a longer pipe on one....
    #Resist

You're only going to gain about 50fps per inch of barrel with the same weight bullet. I have 3 30/06s, a 22, 24, and 26. My 180gr Nosler Accubonds chrono 2650, 2750 and 2850 respectively from the different barrels. Of course these are all the same loads. With the longer barrel, you'll probably get optimum performance from RE22 or powders in that burn rate range. The 30/06 is a fine shooter and will carry plenty of energy for deer out to 1000yds and elk out to 600yds. I have other calibers, but its hard to beat a tried and tested cartridge like the 30/06 in competent hands. I say go for it.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    You're only going to gain about 50fps per inch of barrel with the same weight bullet. I have 3 30/06s, a 22, 24, and 26. My 180gr Nosler Accubonds chrono 2650, 2750 and 2850 respectively from the different barrels. Of course these are all the same loads. With the longer barrel, you'll probably get optimum performance from RE22 or powders in that burn rate range. The 30/06 is a fine shooter and will carry plenty of energy for deer out to 1000yds and elk out to 600yds. I have other calibers, but its hard to beat a tried and tested cartridge like the 30/06 in competent hands. I say go for it.
    ONLY?

50 fps per inch seems like a LOT to me.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ONLY?

50 fps per inch seems like a LOT to me.

SOTN
    Yeah...considering 2900 is where the .300 H&H has been loaded to for decades!

My guess is with a modern powder, you can get the '06 to well above that in a 26" barrel.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default Best of both worlds

Vince

338-06 Ackley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast