Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PWS Bears EO issued

Default PWS Bears EO issued

They have shortened the Black bear season, so I thought I would share in case this has an effect on any members plans. I will still be out there and really did not plan on hunting.

Prince William Sound Black Bear Declines Prompt Shortened Spring Hunting Season

(Cordova) – Concerns over a prolonged black bear population decline in Prince William Sound have led area wildlife managers to shorten the 2015 spring hunting season in Game Management Subunit 6D. In an effort to prevent overharvest, the spring black bear season in 6D will close by emergency order on May 27, 2015, at 11:59 p.m., two weeks earlier than usual. This date was determined considering a Maximum Allowable Harvest objective of 200 bears and the date at which that harvest is traditionally met.

“Black bear harvests in the subunit, which encompasses coastal areas surrounding Whittier, Valdez and Cordova, nearly tripled from the late 1990s to 2007 and have steadily declined since”, said Cordova Area Wildlife Biologist Charlotte Westing. She added that harvests in regulatory years 2012 and 2013 fell 25 percent and 47 percent, respectively, below the previous regulatory year.

Another red flag for wildlife managers is the growing number of black bear sows being taken by hunters. “The percentage of females in the harvest has increased to over 40 percent the last three regulatory years and has exceeded management objectives each year since 2006,” said Westing.

Anecdotal reports from a diverse group of users suggest a decline in bears during the last decade. Also, exceptional weather during three of the last five years may have impacted black bear behavior, availability and possibly survival.

The emergency order is the first in a series of actions aimed to reduce the harvest of black bears in Prince William Sound. The Alaska Board of Game recently adopted a regulation to put in place a registration hunt starting in the fall of 2015. Details will be provided at a later date.

For more information on the 6D emergency closure, contact Westing at (907) 424-3215 or charlotte.westing@alaska.gov.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ADFG=hunting.main
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

You beat me by 5 minutes. I guess I can cancel the hunt for the airman I was going to take out this year.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

What are the dates on the fall season? Same as listed in the regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    What are the dates on the fall season? Same as listed in the regulations?
    I would expect the fall season to change as well, but that would be addressed in the next regulatory year that starts on 1 July 2015.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hopefully, this will do the trick. First move was to move the fall hunt back ten days to get hunters off the salmon streams. Now, we'll get hunters off the spring rut as well. Good move by ADF&G as far as I'm concerned. One small measure at a time. Hopefully, this measure will be enough. Kudos to the department on this one.

This just sucks.
    Kids get off school on the 25th, so we have just eliminsted most of their opportunites for a family hunt the day after school is over. Can't take 'em out early with testing going on and finals.
    Guides will most likely stuff the boat or add another boat to their name to squeeze in the same or more hunters in a 2 week shorter season now, gotta get those NR hunters a bear and still make $ or they don't pay the bills at home.
    PWS will be busier than ever as we all compete to harvest a bear in less time. If you thought it was bad before with boats cruising in and out of the bay you were working, wait till this year.
    Don't think it will do much for curbing the harvest, the wether has more to do with that.
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    This just sucks.
    Kids get off school on the 25th, so we have just eliminsted most of their opportunites for a family hunt the day after school is over. Can't take 'em out early with testing going on and finals.
    Guides will most likely stuff the boat or add another boat to their name to squeeze in the same or more hunters in a 2 week shorter season now, gotta get those NR hunters a bear and still make $ or they don't pay the bills at home.
    PWS will be busier than ever as we all compete to harvest a bear in less time. If you thought it was bad before with boats cruising in and out of the bay you were working, wait till this year.
    Don't think it will do much for curbing the harvest, the wether has more to do with that.
    Bk
    Yep... I can't figure why they didn't just do a registration hunt? same as the taylor hwy/ chicken area caribou.... when they have reached their intended harvest, close the season.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Yep... I can't figure why they didn't just do a registration hunt? same as the taylor hwy/ chicken area caribou.... when they have reached their intended harvest, close the season.
    The only "tool" in the biologists hands is an EO. You will probably see a change to a registration hunt issues by the BOG this year. You will also probably see the fall season start date moved back to the 20th of Sept. by EO.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

This just sucks.
    Bk
    Yeah it sucks when us humans can't do whatever we want, whenever we want. If the new restrictions work, then hopefully bear numbers will come back up to a level that allows less strict regulations. With the tunnel and the ever increasing popularity in black bear hunting in the sound, this was bound to happen.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The only "tool" in the biologists hands is an EO. You will probably see a change to a registration hunt issues by the BOG this year. You will also probably see the fall season start date moved back to the 20th of Sept. by EO.
    Gotcha...thanks!
    Taxidermy IS art!

Hopefully it is enough..........?

BK - can't you take the kids out for a weekend hunt? I have done several one day PWS bear "hunts" .

In response to what you're suggesting about guides. Most federal land managers put a limit on the number of various species that a guide may take in their guide area, unlike State and private lands. I'm not sure about the USFS regulations on guides on PWS, maybe someone can inform us.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Yeah it sucks when us humans can't do whatever we want, whenever we want. If the new restrictions work, then hopefully bear numbers will come back up to a level that allows less strict regulations. With the tunnel and the ever increasing popularity in black bear hunting in the sound, this was bound to happen.
    If you read the other post regarding this topic about a week ago or the article the BOG published, it would be obvious this is not a based on evidence or any scentific data. I'm all for conservation, for heavans sake I'm a hunter and care about the resource. There are much better ways to restrict this hunt IF indeed there is a population decline in bear numbers.
    I don't believe there is. Last two years have been odd weather, thus many bears came out of the den and never went to sea level so many hunters went home empty handed. Doesn't mean there are less bears. Lets do some studies instead of bleeding heart liberal mentality and just shorten the season cause less bears were shot. Lets do a registration hunt, lets collar bears and actually study them. Lets use our biologists to figure this out and base restrictions on facts!

As for weekend hunts, I hear ya but we tend to go out for a week or two at a time.
    Like I stated in the other thread, since I have been chasing bears in PWS for the last 15years or so, last year was one of the best years we had for getting shot opportunities on multiple bears. The bears have wised up to hanging out on the beach. There there, justnot as easy to hunt.

Anywho, we'll continue to chase them, it just sucks a poor decision was made without considering alternate methods IF there is actually a decreasing population to overharvest.
    BK

If you read the other post regarding this topic about a week ago or the article the BOG published, it would be obvious this is not a based on evidence or any scentific data. I'm all for conservation, for heavans sake I'm a hunter and care about the resource. There are much better ways to restrict this hunt IF indeed there is a population decline in bear numbers.
    I don't believe there is. Last two years have been odd weather, thus many bears came out of the den and never went to sea level so many hunters went home empty handed. Doesn't mean there are less bears. Lets do some studies instead of bleeding heart liberal mentality and just shorten the season cause less bears were shot. Lets do a registration hunt, lets collar bears and actually study them. Lets use our biologists to figure this out and base restrictions on facts!

As for weekend hunts, I hear ya but we tend to go out for a week or two at a time.
    Like I stated in the other thread, since I have been chasing bears in PWS for the last 15years or so, last year was one of the best years we had for getting shot opportunities on multiple bears. The bears have wised up to hanging out on the beach. There there, justnot as easy to hunt.

Anywho, we'll continue to chase them, it just sucks a poor decision was made without considering alternate methods IF there is actually a decreasing population to overharvest.
    BK
    You don't think the rise in female harvest signals trouble? In most bear and furbearer populations it does.

BK
    I trust fish and games decisions to restrict this hunt as opposed to the idea that the bears are just getting smarter. If there are plenty of bears around, and you are able to outsmart them, then you should have no problem bagging one, short season and all.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I trust fish and games decisions to restrict this hunt as opposed to the idea that the bears are just getting smarter. If there are plenty of bears around, and you are able to outsmart them, then you should have no problem bagging one, short season and all.
    Most likely we will, unfortunately my daughter will be at school. Thats where my focus is anymore.....passing it on to my kid.
    Good conversation regardless, we'll make do!
    Bk

Most likely we will, unfortunately my daughter will be at school. Thats where my focus is anymore.....passing it on to my kid.
    Good conversation regardless, we'll make do!
    Bk
    I think this sums it up. THIS is REAL resource management. Teaching the next generation good stewardship of our resources and getting them actively involved in responsible outdoor practices. I'm trying to do the same with my children. I think we as an outdoor community can do much more in the field than the tree-huggers do from behind their desks.

I agree Bud, it should go to registration for residents and drawing for the non-residents. Also they should ban baiting out there. There is no need for that out in the PWS.

Given the amount of information and research done about black bears in general - their habits, movement, etc.... I find it somewhat astonishing that Fish and Game didn't have an estimate for a sustainable harvest already. If they know an area can support 'x' number of bears in an 'average' weather year...they ought to know how many bears they want harvested...

On the other hand, I also know that often times Fish and Game has to live with the '****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't' curse of resource management. LOL... Their first priority should always be protecting the resource, so I (personally) am more likely to approve of decisions which lean toward that end. Better to err on the side of caution.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by archertom View Post
    I think this sums it up. THIS is REAL resource management. Teaching the next generation good stewardship of our resources and getting them actively involved in responsible outdoor practices. I'm trying to do the same with my children. I think we as an outdoor community can do much more in the field than the tree-huggers do from behind their desks.
    Yup, this is (in my opinion) the right attitude. 50 years of watching Alaska getting loved to death. It's time to limit catches, not catch your limits.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast