Thread: Surf Fishing for Rock fish and Cod in Seward

Default Surf Fishing for Rock fish and Cod in Seward

Well due to some major medical problems I haven't been able to fish for a couple years and had to sell the boat (Searunner) so I'm going to be shore bound this summer. Can you give me some tips to fishing for Rockfish and Pacific cod or maybe even a 'butt from shore in the Seward area? Maybe how early in the spring does it start being worthwhile to make the trip down? Had no problems fishing the rock piles from the boat but this will be a little new to me fishing from "terra firma)"
    Thanks In Advance.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Well due to some major medical problems I haven't been able to fish for a couple years and had to sell the boat (Searunner) so I'm going to be shore bound this summer. Can you give me some tips to fishing for Rockfish and Pacific cod or maybe even a 'butt from shore in the Seward area? Maybe how early in the spring does it start being worthwhile to make the trip down? Had no problems fishing the rock piles from the boat but this will be a little new to me fishing from "terra firma)"
    Thanks In Advance.
    Dont know about early, but late August through September (once the silvers are in), you have a fair to good chance at finding some bottom dwellers right off the road on the way out to Lowell Point.

Fly guy.... I used to catch rockfish off Lowell crk rd about March-April of the yr. There is a small bend in the road about quarter mile before the big (blue?) marine building on Lowell rd. There is a trickle of water that goes under the rd thru a small culvert just a couple hundred ft before u get to the blue building. A couple hundred ft BEFORE that culvert/trickle (so back towards town) the rd necks down narrow right at the bend I speak of. Cast right off that pt that sticks out at the bend. There are a couple nice big rocks at the waterline to stand on for casting. I never got any big rock fish but I did bring home a few to eat occasionally.
    There is an occasional halibut caught off Lowell crk beach also later in the yr. Not to mention spring dolly fishing there.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!