Thread: fishing and camping quartz creek

ft richardson, ak

Default fishing and camping quartz creek

we plan on fishing and camping at quartz creek on the kenai. has anyone else camped there before? do they have fire pits at each camp site? how about picnic tables? has anyone fished the quartz creek? what method, eggs? spinner? how about the keni lake? i heard of some monster lake trout. i reserved a site over labor day weekend. it was the last one. it would help alot if anyone had information on the camp ground that has camped before.

Default Nice camping

I usually just fish it from the highway side, but camped there out of an RV two summers ago. The campground loop was nice and wooded. I recall a fire ring, picnic table, and pit toilet (if memory serves.)

At labor day, the creek should be fishing good with eggs and flesh with the normal dead drift presentation. I imagine you could do that conventional tackle as well as w/ a flyrod. You'll catch mainly dollies. Odd rainbow here and there.

Never fished the lake.

Lots of bear tracks on the creek bank.

Bait is not allowed on Quartz Creek. You are also not allowed to fish for salmon there. It is a Rainbow, Dollies & Grayling fishing only.

It is a nice camp ground, you will enjoy it.

Check in with Troutfitters when you get down there. They will point you in the right direction for what is working and how the fishing is on Quartz

Check pages 4 & 5

I have never fished the lake, so can't help there. But I am going to guess that a boat would help for the lake trout.

Default Campground

Never fished there, but the campground is one of my favorite, especially for kids. Nice wooded sites, fire pits, Tables, and nice bathroom facilities (running water). Wild Man's down the road has VERY clean and reasonable shower facilities if Roughin' it requires a hot shower. OH...and Gwin's for the Salmon Chowder.
    Have fun!

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

I stayed there last weekend and do stay their a few times a year. Great camp sites, niced restrooms and plenty of water. I fished quartz this weekend and had my best luck with my ultra light spinning rod using 0-1 mepps and small bllue fix spinners. I fished all around the camp ground and caught several dolly's and rainbows. Water levels are great for fishing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight