Thread: How far can you run up the Yentna River during Moose Season?

Question How far can you run up the Yentna River during Moose Season?

My daughter drew YM541 for any bull in GMU 16B during August 20 - September 25, 2015. We have a 20-foot Alumaweld with a 130/100hp outboard jet available to us. How far can we expect to run up the Yentna during that time of year? I understand that it depends on temps, glacial melting, rainfall, etc. But, ballpark it for me during an "average" Autumn. I'm just trying to do some basic trip planning.

Also, if you have similar information about the other rivers in 16B: such as Skwentna and Kahiltna, I'd appreciate it.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Question

Over 130 views without a single reply.

Would it help stir up more interest on this thread, if instead of taking my kid moose hunting, I said that I wanted to deliver so called "armor piercing" M855 ammo to a newly proposed "open pit" mine in the same region?

Thanx in advance, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Charterboat Operator

packing acordingly you should be able to run up to 20-30 miles up above Skwentna. you should not have any issues going as far as Donkey Creek or even to youngstown bend. farther you go up the thinner the water gets and the brush as well.
    good luck!

It could be secret mountain-hidden lake thing. There is some private property so do your research. Run up as far as you safely can, then float back. Make sure you have enough gas...... Good luck.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I haven't spent much time up the Yentna in late Aug-Sep, but I've spent alot of time on the Big Su and it can vary tremendously. Early season is usually pretty full, but when you get into September, the water can drop SIGNIFICANTLY and QUICKLY. With a stretch of clear weather and cold nights, the water can drop a foot per day or more. IIRC....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I haven't spent much time up the Yentna in late Aug-Sep, but I've spent alot of time on the Big Su and it can vary tremendously. Early season is usually pretty full, but when you get into September, the water can drop SIGNIFICANTLY and QUICKLY. With a stretch of clear weather and cold nights, the water can drop a foot per day or more. IIRC....
    I've spent significant time on the Yentna in September. On a typical year you shouldn't have any trouble getting up to Young's town Bend. However, I've seen that river drop 3 to 5 ft in less than 24 hours, when it is snowing and freezing at the upper elevations to stop runoff. So The uppermost concern in your mind should always be... you got up there alright, but are you going to be able to get back from there before the spring floods. There has been a couple times when my son and I have had to drag an empty boat through some skinny ripples, then hump the gear, gas and meat, down to where the boat had enough water to float... A couple trips like that and your really really appreciate a hot shower and a cold brew...!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I've spent significant time on the Yentna in September. On a typical year you shouldn't have any trouble getting up to Young's town Bend. However, I've seen that river drop 3 to 5 ft in less than 24 hours, when it is snowing and freezing at the upper elevations to stop runoff. So The uppermost concern in your mind should always be... you got up there alright, but are you going to be able to get back from there before the spring floods. There has been a couple times when my son and I have had to drag an empty boat through some skinny ripples, then hump the gear, gas and meat, down to where the boat had enough water to float... A couple trips like that and your really really appreciate a hot shower and a cold brew...!
    and that folks is how you do it!!! you go, you do it, and figure out a way back!!!

Thanx guys, your advice helps a lot! If you don't mind a follow up question:

Would it be worthwhile bringing along my Alaskan Jet Ranger and 25hp jet? Don't know if it would be useful for running up some of the smaller side streams from the Yentna, or is the 20' Alumaweld gonna get me close enough to find moose? It's an inflatable and I can keep it rolled up in a couple of big duffle bags until I want/need to use it, so, it's not a space issue. But, it does add about 350 pounds to our load in the bigger boat, and some of you guys have advised me to "pack accordingly".

Thanx again, Dave.

I would trade the inflatable for a canoe, weight saving, would be used for gas and gear, how long going to stay. How much town you bring with you .
    So forth. Daughter, I have 3 of them and any one can pack more stuff for a weekend trip than us Guys do whole week hunting. Rafts don't get along with sticks and rocks, low water That's what you will be seeing that time of year, a canoe will get up to the skinny, even if you have to walk it with meat. there are the best for that task where your headed. Bring a rod, There used to be some awesome trout fishing back in the day, 30-35 years ago. I don't know if all the pike has ate them by now? Keep that boat parked in some water overnight, As others said, If it gets clear and cold. that river will drop. Its not good, when wake up and can walk around the back of the boat. Comealong good tool to have at that moment. Also jets don't like snow cone type of slush. So if it starts icing up keep and eye on it . It will clear off during the day but if it stays all day and night It will be time to work you back down.
    Last edited by SusitnaAk; 03-04-2015 at 12:31. Reason: more

Its pretty easy to get to the east west fork split on the yentna with not much experience. Above skwentna you can go to the tal or the Hayes Skwentna confluence, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

River hunting for moose in that area is hit and miss at best. IMHO

The last few years in September the biggest thing to worry about is to make sure you have your camp set in a spot that does not end up under the water when it rains for a week straight. I spend a lot of time on the yentna and it definitely goes up and down fast and often that time of year. Lots of people then too.