Thread: Yamaha vs suzuki 175

Default Yamaha vs suzuki 175

looking for suggestions on a motor for a 22' ET/HT hewescraft sea runner. I am interested in the 175. Both yamaha and suzuki are sold/serviced on the Peninsula. I know this is like splitting hairs since the are very close in cost and warranty. Am I going to notice a difference in power, low end torque, gpm, sound, etc. thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not sure on the 175's but Suzuki generally runs a lower gear ratio than the competition across the board allowing them to spin a much larger prop. This is awesome for a saltwater boat. Better boat control gets on step easier and less prone to cavitation in rough seas. If the Suzuki does indeed spin the larger prop in the 175 class that would make up my mind. They build great motors with a great warranty. Nothing bad to say about Yamaha either. Loved my 150 4 stroke.

I don't know the answer to your question, but have you looked at the inline 200 that Yamaha is making? What year is your searunner? I looked at the new 21'er at the Portland outdoor show, and I liked it, but it did not have any place for the rode - ?

I went out with a family who owned a 220 OceanPro with a Suzuki 175. My buddy (6'6"), his mom (6'), and his dad (6'6")... big family... they love that motor, lots of power, and a fast cruise speed, no problems and they have had that rig for nearly 10 years.

Either will be fine, but in the end look at the outfit who will be servicing your motors for the decision.

Sobie2

Do you know what the WOT speed was on the ocean Pro Sobie2 ?

It was a while ago, but it was in the 40s. I think they cruised around 35. I had a 150hp on my OceanPro and I cruised around 25 knots.

Sobie2