Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Hunting camera

  1. #1
    Member smarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    224

    Default Hunting camera

    I know there is a photo forum but I didn't see anything there that fit the bill. I also did an archive search and didn't find what I wanted. I am interested in a pocket point and shoot camera. I specifically want this camera for outdoor trips so waterproof, shock proof, dust proof are desirable qualities. I also want something that will turn on and operate silently for those occasions in a Nebraska whitetail stand or other close encounters. I don't think I care much about the GPS function advertised with some cameras.

    Some of you, Stid comes to mind although there are many others, that take great pics of your trips and lots of them. The quality of some of the pics I see here makes me question if they were shot with a point and shoot. On the other hand, the volume of pics makes me believe those beautiful images must have been taken with something handy.

    What are you guys using AND loving?

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    I know there is a photo forum but I didn't see anything there that fit the bill. I also did an archive search and didn't find what I wanted. I am interested in a pocket point and shoot camera. I specifically want this camera for outdoor trips so waterproof, shock proof, dust proof are desirable qualities. I also want something that will turn on and operate silently for those occasions in a Nebraska whitetail stand or other close encounters. I don't think I care much about the GPS function advertised with some cameras.

    Some of you, Stid comes to mind although there are many others, that take great pics of your trips and lots of them. The quality of some of the pics I see here makes me question if they were shot with a point and shoot. On the other hand, the volume of pics makes me believe those beautiful images must have been taken with something handy.

    What are you guys using AND loving?
    After roaching a few cameras because of water, I started using waterproof point and shoots, started with the pentax and the last several years have been using Olympus TG1 and after I dropped it in a river bought the one I have now a TG2. The lens adapter allows me to attach it to my Spotter and because it is waterproof it is always in my pocket, this means I take way more photos because I can easily reach it and I capture photos other don't because they don't want to dig out a camera that is safely stored in their pack. Not as good as a DLSR, but a good way to get decent pics while in harsh conditions and the TG series have a nice low light ability and often game is taken at first or last light. The newer TG3 is WIFI and can be used with a smart phone.

    Post 135 in this thread show how I attach it to my spotter.

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ney?highlight=
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3
    Member smarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Thanks Steve. That is exactly the kind of use I had in mind. An Olympus was the first waterproof point and shoot I ever saw about 10 years ago. That's really helpful. Anyone else?

  4. #4
    Member ramhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Canon G16.......
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

  5. #5
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I've been using a Nikon AW100 for few years. No complaints at all other than it has a lot of gibberish on it I don't need or use...but that's pretty common nowadays.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  6. #6
    Member smarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Steve, How quiet is your camera? That is a feature that is not commonly advertised.

  7. #7
    Member Rock_skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deltajct
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    I now carry 2 defferent cameras.

    I carry a Olympus point and shoot. I also just got my Canon EOS Rebel T5 with two lenses ( 35-55----75-300)

    They both work great, carry the small one when walking around, the big one stays in a safe place.

    ( I hear ya Hodgeman, take me a year of schooling to figure the Canon out, lol. )

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    I use a Fujifilm point and shoot that was fairly cheap at Costco, $150 maybe.

    Takes great pictures above and underwater which is really fun at the Russian!

    I've had it several years now and it's very durable.

    I think most any of the decent quality point and shoots take great picture now as Lon as you have good light. Low light is what separates the ok point and shoots grime great ones, that and about $400 last time I looked.

    I'd buy my little Fuji at $150 again in a heartbeat!

    The only point and shoot I've bought in the last 10 years I was unhappy with was a Sony.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Steve, How quiet is your camera? That is a feature that is not commonly advertised.
    It has the option to turn off sound and with sound off I can just hardly hear the shutter.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  10. #10

    Default

    I'm pretty fond of my Sony cybershot RX100. I also like using a Hitcase http://www.hitcase.com/ along with my Iphone for quick shots. The case works as a waterproof case and expands the view angle of the iphones stock lens it can also be mounted to things similar to a gopro. Something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Case_for.html would also work if you are say, going on a goat hunt in the Chugach.

  11. #11
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Canon G15. I can't testify to their "waterproofness" but the Canon G series (12, 15, 16, etc.) are incredibly durable and take OUTSTANDING photographs. They're much more capable as a device than I am as a photographer
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  12. #12
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    I have been using the small Leica point and shoot cameras for over 10 years and have no regrets. When it absolutely has to be: waterproof, dust proof, shock resistant I use the Hero 4.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Olympus TG-3 is one of the sweetest little camera's I've ever used. It's Alaska proof and it's size makes it very convenient to pull out of a cargo pocket and snap photos at anytime.

  14. #14
    Member smarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Thanks BigSky. That Hit case might be an interesting option instead of my LifeProof case which is no longer waterproof after about three years. The problem I have had with using my phone lately in the abcense of our last Sony point and shoot is the lack of battery life especially when its cold. In looking at the on line reviews, I had seen and have been interested in the camera you have. It seemed like there were a lot of marginal to poor reviews which was off putting. I also wasn't sure how well it would work for digiscoping like what Stid was doing. I know they make attachments for phones. I am glad you have had good luck with your Sony. Thanks for the help.

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Stid is right go with waterproof, shockproof, dustproof. I have a Sony DSC-HX20V and although its not lifeproof I have a very small pelican case for it and its perfect in size and weight plus it takes great pictures. But honestly smart phone cameras are amazing (with the right light) and plus get a lifeproof case for it and its indestructible! I have the phone skope attachment for my spotting scope and that's amazing. It does take some getting use to but it takes awesome pictures through the scope. Just something to think about...

  16. #16

    Default

    Take a look at Panasonic Lumix TS3. I've actually taken underwater fishing photos with mine. It also takes excellent 1040 video that is a lot better than my GoPro. They probably have a newer model but I've used and abused my TS3 for years and it keeps on kick'n!

  17. #17
    Member Carlak2fl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Anchorage
    Posts
    161

    Default

    http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-WG-3-bl...rproof+cameras

    i bought one of these in Hawaii when our other camera died. had it underwater in salt water, and thrown everything at it Alaska has to offer. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another, and picture quality is fantastic too
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

  18. #18
    Member smarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Thanks Carl. The Pentax appears to be the same as the Ricoh that I am seeing good ratings for in an on line review of waterproof cameras as well as consumer reviews. This and the Olympus seem to be strong contenders. Olympus has a long history with waterproof tough cameras but this Ricoh/Pentax gets great reviews for being tough. Both appear to take really good pics. I am getting closer but need more research.



    Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-WG-3-bl...rproof+cameras

    i bought one of these in Hawaii when our other camera died. had it underwater in salt water, and thrown everything at it Alaska has to offer. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another, and picture quality is fantastic too

  19. #19
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Thanks Carl. The Pentax appears to be the same as the Ricoh that I am seeing good ratings for in an on line review of waterproof cameras as well as consumer reviews. This and the Olympus seem to be strong contenders. Olympus has a long history with waterproof tough cameras but this Ricoh/Pentax gets great reviews for being tough. Both appear to take really good pics. I am getting closer but need more research.

    I ran the Pentax WG cameras and still have one, my wife lost the newer one, the reason I changed over to the Olympus is the TG series have a much better low light lens and the lens adapter makes it easy to attach to a spotter. I get 7 to 10 days on one battery and carry an extra which cost a fraction of what the Pentax batteries cost.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  20. #20
    Member smarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Thanks Stid. Another thing that is hard to see online is if they have lens covers that close when they are turned off. Reading the reviews of some of the other cameras in this category, there were lots of complaints against the cameras that didn't have covers to protect the glass.

    Which one do you think takes better pictures aside from the low light preference you stated for the Olympus?

    I wondered if the TG 3 would be easier to use with a scope because of the design.

    I have also looked at the DG 860/850 but that is another can of worms. Very different camera and not as proven other than coming from Olympus who has a good track record with this type of camera. The pivoting LCD screen could be good...or bad.



    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I ran the Pentax WG cameras and still have one, my wife lost the newer one, the reason I changed over to the Olympus is the TG series have a much better low light lens and the lens adapter makes it easy to attach to a spotter. I get 7 to 10 days on one battery and carry an extra which cost a fraction of what the Pentax batteries cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •