Thread: Question About My Fishing Line & Reels

Question Question About My Fishing Line & Reels

I have 2 trout poles I just bought from Wal-Mart, pretty inexpensive beginner type stuff. We put 15# line on it, "smooth casting". I am an extreme beginner.

We went fishing at Mirror Lake this afternoon, and after a cast or two, the line comes off of the spool and tangles up. So we untangle, and try again, and get the same results. Why is this? Is it just the headache tht comes with a cheap reel? Is it the pole somehow? Have I spooled it on wrong in some way? Help!

Thanks in advance!

If you spooled the line yourself, you may have wound it in a twisted fashion. Go to a bridge, unspool all the line into the current, wind it back on. The line will untwist in the current. Happy fishing

A couple of things can cause that. If you put too much line on the reel it'll want to come off in clumps and tangle up. New line has memory of being on a larger dia spool and also tends to come off in clumps until it's been on the reel awhile. I like to spool my reels a few months before fishing season so they take a set to the dia of the reel.

You may be using lures that are too light for the line. 15#'s is pretty heavy for trout fishing and needs a 3/8 to 1/2 oz sinker to work properly. If you're using 1/4 oz or lighter sinkers and spoons you'll likely have problems, especially with fresh line.

You might want to re-spool with 6-10# test. 6# test will cast further than heavier line with the lighter lures, and it's still pretty resistant to breaking off. I've fished from a canoe, snagged lilly pads and reeled myself to the pad to untangle (not good for the reels I might add)

One last thing, after you've had a few tangles and the line kinks up, it's worth just cutting it off and using fresh line further down in the spool.

Paul H hit it.

I would add that the reel should have a sticker that states the recommended line and amount for it.

Mike