Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hewes re-model

Default Hewes re-model

Just put boat in the water after a 9 day remodel in a heated shop; here's what we did on the Alaskan:
    1. Complete new wiring from batteries forward
    2. Eliminated one battery from the stern (had 3)
    3. Ditched all the fuse panels and went with 2 separate blue seas circuit breaker panels; 12 switches total
    4. Installed new Espar D2 with 3 vents; had a signal vent Wallas 1300 before
    5. Put in a wash down pump (no holes in the hull)
    6. Replaced the factory deck section under the transom fishbox, replaced the entire transom wall & doors that access the bilge & batteries, switch. Wash down pump, Racor, etc.
    All the wiring marine grade with heat shrink connections, used big wire to power circuit panels.
    Will post pics if I can figure it out. Totally cleaned up the old wiring birds' nest and tidied up everything in general.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Pix or it didn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Pix or it didn't happen!
    Agreed. Id really like to see your pictures for #6.

Did the floor floatation have any water in it?

I am thinking about taking mine out - - but I definitely want to replace it, for safety's sake - and it is an 18' hull length so I think to resell - it would have to have it in it.

Yea, I too have a blank slate I gotta deal with in my 22' landing craft. from batteries in the stern to LED lights up front. I'd love to see your electrical project posted.

Sobie2

That's a ton of work but man is it ever confidence inspiring to know that your entire electrical system is good to go! Without doing a thru hull for the wash-down pickup, did you just go up and over or what? Thanks and we look forward to pics.

Looks like you were a busy man lately. I'd love to see your back door panels. I replaced mine but they just aren't nice enough. I need to rework them a little. What did you use and did you cover them with anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I covered them for him with bed liner that I shoot in my shop. Between the doors and bulkhead and deck under the batteries he lost over fifty pounds. If you replace your decks buy the best plywood you can. I like A-C the best it saves time and money. If I have to fill and sand ends and edges at $75 on hour it adds up fast. If ready to go 4hr and 5gal of bed liner you are looking at $750.00 in a 24 Hews. You might find someone around anchorage to do it.

Will post pics soon.
    Used AC underlayment 3/4" ply for the deck & back panel wall/doors. Do not use any treated wood on an aluminum boat.
    Like he Matt primed & sprayed Speedliner on all sides & edges. I replaced the entire deck last winter from the transom/fishbox wall forward to the wheelhouse back wall/door. Lost over 300 lbs easy in wet wood & the 1/8 diamond plate someone screwed down directly over the vinyl. It was soaked.
    Surprisingly the foam they use to fill the voids were only wet down to about an inch; shaved that out easily.
    The deck section under the batteries that we just replaced was wet also. Lost at least 50 lbs plus ditched the 3rd house battery.
    Boat now sits at least an inch higher on the waterline.
    Put a long day's use on her yesterday; carted 6 hikers around the bay and trolled a bit; happy with it all. The upgrade to the d2 is awesome, the wash down pump is great but the factory hose sucks, it blew out almost immediately.

How do I post pics directly from my iphone?
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post

How do I post pics directly from my iphone?
    Do you have the Tapatalk app on your phone? If so, it is very easy it is like texting a pic. If you don't have the app it is a PITA.

Sobie2

Sounds like you found the same mess I did a few years ago. But my foam was totally soaked and still frozen. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Photobucket works well too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Are you going to post the schematic? I love seeing how other people do thing. Will it have wire size, loads and the lengths of the run listed?

Charterboat Operator

Put a long day's use on her yesterday; carted 6 hikers around the bay and trolled a bit; happy with it all. The upgrade to the d2 is awesome, the wash down pump is great but the factory hose sucks, it blew out almost immediately.

And to think I bailed on going out because it was blowing too hard!!
    thanks for joining us Saturday!

Well it was pretty snotty out of the north in the morning and late afternoon
    Islands and bluff flat calm.
    I'll get the app and post pics.
    We ran 8/2 to 2 separate breaker panels. I totaled up the electrical load and it's good to go. The things that draw the most in the wheelhouse are the wipers (switched separately) and a drivers side windshield fan. The washdown pump draws a lot too bit we powered that directly from the battery switch to a water proof push/pull installed up under the port gunnel in the new transom wall with the water outlet close underneath (pic will show).
    Didn't make sense to me to run the wiring all the way up to the circuit breaker panel & back to the transom when you'll be back there anyway. It's the only thing (other than the inline fuses in some of the electronics) that uses a fuse on the boat.

Okay I'm in idiot; downloaded the tapatalk app. I open the forum page then open the tapatalk window that appears at the top. It has an area to post a response but nowhere do I see how I can access or attach pics. Technology sucks. Sometimes

Hmmm this might be it!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charterboat Operator

looks real clean there Jim, though the way you drive i think you should have the clip on lanyard for the safety shutoff hooked to you at all times!

Ha! I baby that girl big time!!!!
    Most everything is working out great with the improvements except I have a drip at the espar fuel pump outlet where the rubber fuel line meets the small plastic line to the heater. Re-clamped it a few times but think I'll try those plastic hose clamps. Also got a new computer/ECM on the starboard motor and it keeps throwing an overheat alarm except the motor isn't overheating. Plenty of water flow out of the pee hole and we also changed out the temp sensor. I think it's the brand new computer itself as I ran the shop computer on that motor for a month and no issue. Jim at LPP thinks it's something else.

Looking good. A couple questions:

Where did you get the plastic holder for the washdown pump handle? Do you have a manufacture part number you can share?

It looks like you bolted steel to the transom for the screen filter for the washdown pickup - are you worried about problems with dissimiliar metals ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast