Thread: Brown Bears

Default Brown Bears

There out and about! At least down here in the Cordova area. One of the pilots in town said he saw one chowing down on a moose. Early spring maybe?

Was it Collins?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

That is a very weird name for a Brown Bear.......Who names their Brown Bear "Collins".........

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Was it Collins?

No first hand experience, but I have heard rumors that some folks in Cordova are affected strangely by the long wet winters.......could lead to odd nomenclature naming of Brown Bears.

I think Collins was the moose!

No Collins is the bear. Legend has it he comes out early every year and goes after his ceremonial potlatch subsistence community teir III moose. None of the locals have ever got a shot at him, save for one old trapper than lived at the base of the glacier. One winter running his wolverine line he saw a small bear raiding his bait, he got one shot off that broke the bears tail, his tail now points straight left, which is how the pilots usually identify him. Collins was the name Of the trapper that took the shot, but he passed away over 30 years ago and the name was passed to the bear. Every now and then you hear of a sighting of Collins. Can't believe you guys didn't know about all this.....?!
    Master guide 212

I had heard that, from my father, he was the trapper who shot the bear many years ago. His full name was I. M. Tom Collins, he drank a lot of booze.

Side NOTE: For those of you who do NOT know how to tell if a Hunting Guide is stretching the truth...............Just look and see if his mouth is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    No Collins is the bear. Legend has it he comes out early every year and goes after his ceremonial potlatch subsistence community teir III moose. None of the locals have ever got a shot at him, save for one old trapper than lived at the base of the glacier. One winter running his wolverine line he saw a small bear raiding his bait, he got one shot off that broke the bears tail, his tail now points straight left, which is how the pilots usually identify him. Collins was the name Of the trapper that took the shot, but he passed away over 30 years ago and the name was passed to the bear. Every now and then you hear of a sighting of Collins. Can't believe you guys didn't know about all this.....?!

Touché.....
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I had heard that, from my father, he was the trapper who shot the bear many years ago. His full name was I. M. Tom Collins, he drank a lot of booze.

Side NOTE: For those of you who do NOT know how to tell if a Hunting Guide is stretching the truth...............Just look and see if his mouth is moving.
    Pretty sure he used his fingers to type that, not his mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I know a pilot in Cordova named Collins.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

No clue what his name was....just over heard a conversation in line at the store. Going to go check for tracks this weekend just to see what's up and about.

Yes Mike Collins is a cub pilot out of Cordova and was who I was originally referring to....
    Master guide 212

He still making videos?