Thread: Fishing in Hawaii

Default Fishing in Hawaii

Just curious if anyone has done any fishing for Bonefish in Maui? We're headed down in a couple weeks, and were wanting to try some diy fishing. Any pointers on locations and tactics would be appreciated. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Just curious if anyone has done any fishing for Bonefish in Maui? We're headed down in a couple weeks, and were wanting to try some diy fishing. Any pointers on locations and tactics would be appreciated. Bob
    It's been awhile. What side of the island are you going to?

Teri,

Lucky guy! I like to fish the West side because thats where I stay. The Kaanapali Beach area. The Kaku are rather elusive on the shores of Maui, but that doesn't keep me from trying to catch them. I wip for them with a spinning outfit using a short steel leader like you would use for pike and a Mark White plug in green, black or yellow, 1/2 oz or 1/4 oz depending on the waves and wind. The West side is usually windy during the winter months, so fly fishing can be difficult. With that outfit you may even catch some papio or even ulua to keep yourself entertained. And, no fishing license required for the saltwater.

Alaska and Hawaii ties are tight. You shouldn't have any problem going to any fishing store and mentioning your from Alaska and get a smile and alot of good info.

Mom n pop fishing store, also pay attention to the tide and time of day that they suggest. Gl