Thread: Another "Just moved up here" post...

Default Another "Just moved up here" post...

I just moved up here from Wisconsin to the Anchorage area, and am really looking forward to hunting some ptarmigan and grouse this fall. Unfortunately I really have no idea where to go (although thanks to this forum I have an idea on how to hunt them), I understand that there are a ton of public hunting areas around, but if someone could point me in the right direction where there might be some birds I would certainly appreciate it.

thanks for any tips.

www.fearlessnews.com

Default Hatcher's Pass

I love going to Hatcher's Pass. I spent a lot of time up there before I got into birds (ptarmigan, but I've seen grouse) finally, this Feb/March, but it is a beautiful place to go spend a day, or a weekend! I usually go out Archangel trail, about 1/4 way up from MotherLode Lodge, or just right out at the bottom, across from MotherLode. If you go in winter, make sure to take either snowshoes or skis (preferably backcountry). Oh, yeah, no shooting within 1/4 mile of road.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Look at the hunting regs available at:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting

And find out where you are allowed to hunt for birds, basically any of the mountains that overlook Anchorage and some of Eagle River are closed to hunting.

Go to the top of any mountain top or ridge in the fall or winter and just start walking around. You will more than likely find ptarmigan very soon. For grouse, look for wooded areas with lots of berries, start poking around, listen for them hooting, be patient and you will soon find grouse.

No.

You're not going to find grouse hooting in the Anchorage area. Hooters are blue grouse, and there isn't any population of them in SC. Though, I have often believed a transplant to the area would be a good thing! With folks seeing pheasant in Fairbanks and Homer, there is no reason that there shouldn't be blues around Hope, Turnagain Pass, Seward, and PWS. But, my idea has always fallen on deaf ears.

cONDENSED, what you are looking for in your area will be primarily spruce grouse and ptarmigan. There are some ruffed grouse there too (another transplant).

Gravel, unmaintained roads and trails in the fall will produce.

Very cool, Thanks for your help.

Default Rabbits...

Hola,

I realize that this is premature, but in driving to/from Fairbanks this weekend I noted many rabbits along the road from Healy to Nenana . I saw probably 6-8 live rabbits (middle of the day) and another 12-15 rather dead and rather flat type rabbits .

I'm guessing the hunting should be good come fall/winter.

Steve

Denali hwy is generally good for ptarmigam, but long trip and best if you have a 4 wheeler to get back on some trails. i have not hunted it for years thou. haul road is generally good for spruce hens south of coldfoot and ptarmigan north of atigun pass. very long trip for birds and archery only North of the Yukon river.
    closer area east of Gunsight mountain out toward Eureka again 4 wheeler will be very helpful. and if you have one of those. back by hicks lake ( ? over pinnocle pass) again area i have not hunted for years. snowmachines are the ticket for these in winter months.
    if you are on foot you could walk alot of miles and never see any ptarmigan . as previously mentioned along gravel roads for spruce hens and other grouse , they need gravel for their craw.
    i will be chasing deer i your old stomping grounds this fall. good luck -Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Cool, where are you deer hunting at?