Thread: Fur advice

Default Fur advice

Recently caught a really nice cross fox and intended on having a hat made, while removing it from the board and turning it fur out after drying the side split about 5". My questions are 1) is it still able to be tanned and repaired correctly, and 2) what is the best way of repairing it for use as a hat still. I'm not real experienced with the repairing of furs, I usually just dry it and sell as is or tan it myself for capes to hang in the house. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Patchief View Post
    Recently caught a really nice cross fox and intended on having a hat made, while removing it from the board and turning it fur out after drying the side split about 5". My questions are 1) is it still able to be tanned and repaired correctly, and 2) what is the best way of repairing it for use as a hat still. I'm not real experienced with the repairing of furs, I usually just dry it and sell as is or tan it myself for capes to hang in the house. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated, thanks!

It cannot be sewed together now. When the tannery shaves it, they will usually cut through the stitches. You might be able to put a note with it when it is sent to the tannery to have them stitch it before putting it in the tumbler. This will prevent it from ripping more or being stretched out of shape when it is tumbled.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

As usual, Juli is spot on. Send it into the tannery with a note. I use those wire tags and often put notes on the hides that I send in that have been torn like yours or any other defect that I like to warn them about. I use Moyles and they are excellent to work with and I feel they do their very best to "save" furs. Good luck!

The face on that fox is exquisite. You could possibly get away with doing a pedestal shoulder mount and a hat, too. I did that for my son with a wolverine. I kept the 'cape' for a pedestal mount and made a hat for him out of the rest. It was a dark diamond wolverine but had great chest coloration.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    It cannot be sewed together now. When the tannery shaves it, they will usually cut through the stitches.
    Can't say I agree. Especially if it's a split that could grow easily. I'd take a wet towel and moisten/soften the leather along the split and then sew it with dental floss and a glovers needle, making good start and finish knots. The tannery MAY end up cutting the stitches, but if they do the fur has already been through processes that could have made it worse. Not that it can't happen, but I haven't had Moyles cut thru a sew job in many years.
    Very nice fox-good job and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    Can't say I agree. Especially if it's a split that could grow easily. I'd take a wet towel and moisten/soften the leather along the split and then sew it with dental floss and a glovers needle, making good start and finish knots. The tannery MAY end up cutting the stitches, but if they do the fur has already been through processes that could have made it worse. Not that it can't happen, but I haven't had Moyles cut thru a sew job in many years.
    Very nice fox-good job and good luck!
    That's been my experience with Moyles too. I sewed the entry and exit holes, plus a couple small skinning Knicks and all of them were still in tact when I got my coyote back.

If I'm not mistaken their instructions on their website suggest sewing before sending it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be curious to know how the shaving was on the area around those stitches Limon.

I tried presewing some holes once a long time ago on some of my own trapped skins - didn't come back intact and I never tried again. I have seen only a few presewn holes make it back from the tannery intact..which is why I said 'usually'... On those hides the shaver avoided the area around the hole and left tissue attached to the leather ...

I don't use Moyles very often and have no experience with their repair or avoidance of said stitches.

In the end, as a taxidermist, I have to sew the holes anyway - so it is more efficient for me to only sew them once.

dampening the hide and sewing up may indeed be worth the effort for the OP. Certainly won't hurt (though I do think the fur sewing machines produce a better seam - especially for fur sewing) . I'd have some salt handy for applying to the damp part of the hide, just to ensure there won't be any issues.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    I'd be curious to know how the shaving was on the area around those stitches Limon.

I tried presewing some holes once a long time ago on some of my own trapped skins - didn't come back intact and I never tried again. I have seen only a few presewn holes make it back from the tannery intact..which is why I said 'usually'... On those hides the shaver avoided the area around the hole and left tissue attached to the leather ...

I don't use Moyles very often and have no experience with their repair or avoidance of said stitches.

In the end, as a taxidermist, I have to sew the holes anyway - so it is more efficient for me to only sew them once.

dampening the hide and sewing up may indeed be worth the effort for the OP. Certainly won't hurt (though I do think the fur sewing machines produce a better seam - especially for fur sewing) . I'd have some salt handy for applying to the damp part of the hide, just to ensure there won't be any issues.
    I'll see if I can get some pictures and post them.

Keep in mind this was for a wall hangar so my sewing didn't need to be near the quality you need (and I'm sure it's not!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Patchief, we caught your twin this weekend!

The little sucker has been giving me the fits the last couple of weeks. He ate 2 marten and tripped several traps and while snapping traps shut for the season on Sat, he was back at it again (snapping traps shut for me). I watched his tracks as I rode down the trail for a few miles, him going to set after set, sometimes going in from behind and stealing baits. The very last set was at my trapping camp where I set a trap by my bait box. Caught him!

Yes indeed - those facial markings are awesome ... Always good to catch a trap thief - of the two legged or four legged variety!
    Taxidermy IS art!

Thanks for all the advice, I will be sending it out to Moyles very soon and will hopefully get a workable fur back for a hat, JuliW- appreciate all the in-sight and advice, it is much appreciated! Trailblazersteve, I bet it felt great to finally "out fox" that critter, he is a great looking fox!