Thread: Reduced recoil for 7mm-08

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Reduced recoil for 7mm-08

I'm new to loading and I'm apprehensive about loading anything not in a manual. I've read an article on reduced loading and it sites manuals (mostly speer) with reduced loads. My dilemma is that none are listed for 7mm-08. Does anyone know of any tested reduced recoil loads? I don't want to recklessly cutting powder charges down and have risk for see.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Here is one source from Hodgdon;

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/relo...w-recoil-loads

Depending how low recoil you want to go, trailboss can take you into the subsonic range if desired.

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

http://www.loaddata.com/articles/PDF...iland%20LR.pdf

Also alot of pistol powders are used for low recoil loads, but that is territory for learning before you leap....

Yeah- do not load anything not in a manual....just a bad idea.

For reduced loads, I've used Trail Boss in several cartridges and it works really, really well.

Remington also produces a reduced "Managed recoil" factory load- I've tried the .308 version and they are quite a bit softer shooting and good for the kids to learn with...enough bang to tell they're doing something serious, but not abusive in light guns.

You can also load some lighter weight 100-120gr bullet loads at starting loads and they'll be easier on the shoulder.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Trail boss is definitely the way to go if you can't find published reduced loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you want to down load a 7MM-08?

Quote Originally Posted by AKcaveman View Post

My thoughts exactly. Though I know a guy that loads a few rounds each year with a round ball and few grains of shotgun powder for shooting small game with his 300 win mag.

Small kid, small woman, flinchy shooter, because you can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have worked up reduced loads for all my rifles. Use them especially for head popping snowshoe hare, but also to cut down on powder costs for general shooting. Snowshoe hunting is unbelievably good practice, allowing you to get your prime hunting rifles off the range and into the field. Why zork hot loads out of your rifles and watch your powder supplies dwindle 11 1/2 months a year if you're shooting it regularly like you should outside the hunting season? Barrel life sure goes up too, when you're shooting 500-1000 rounds per year at a minimum.

The better question is "Why isn't everyone shooting reduced loads?"

The component manufacturers are not surprisingly mum on reduced loads, when their stockholders expect them to be selling MORE AND MORE components every year.

Lyman #49 lists reduced loads 7MM-08 for 139 & 154 grain jacketed bullets. Load data for lead bullets as well.

Here are some reduced loads (including 7-08) listed by Hodgdon.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20R...le%20Loads.pdf

That 120gr load at 2600fps would be pretty soft shooting.... recoil energy is going to be about 10 ft/lbs. in a 7 pound rifle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Some of the Speer books list reduced loads for various calibers. My book is an old one, but using it I was able to get a 115 gr bullet in a 280 Rem down to around 1700fps. My kids loved it (around 6 & 8y/o at the time). Richard Lee's reloading manuel also lists some reduced loads for most calibers.

I don't load 7mm anything, but I would just buy some of the lighter bullets and load on the low end of the loading manual's listing. I shoot a 260 Rem (6.5mm bullet) and if I load a 140 grain bullet at the faster end of the manual, it has a noticeable kick. If I shoot a 120 grain bullet, I hardly notice it.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks guys. The hogdon, lyman and imr resources look awesome.

My kid only weighs around 65 pounds. He has shot that gun but I can tell the recoil gets to him. I hate to see him flinch and I've got him signed up for Hunter safety. He's been shooting 120 grain Sierra bullets with 41 grains imr4320. I am sure factory reduced recoil ammo would be lighter than what he's been shooting. I have the speer manual but they don't list a reduced recoil load for that caliber.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Thanks guys. The hogdon, lyman and imr resources look awesome.

My kid only weighs around 65 pounds. He has shot that gun but I can tell the recoil gets to him. I hate to see him flinch and I've got him signed up for Hunter safety. He's been shooting 120 grain Sierra bullets with 41 grains imr4320. I am sure factory reduced recoil ammo would be lighter than what he's been shooting. I have the speer manual but they don't list a reduced recoil load for that caliber.
    Grab a box of the Remington Managed recoil and give it a try. In my .308 it shoots to point of aim at 100 without rezeroing the rifle. Felt recoil is about half what "regular" is. I started my son shooting it at 9yo and he didn't find it objectionable. Full power 140gr loads in light guns can get to the kids pretty quick.

Since the 7-08 is generally considered to be a "low recoil" round, it might be difficult to find many "reduced" loads for it. The Remington "Managed Recoil" rounds might be an answer, as is "Trail Boss" powder. Do you have a larger rifle - something in the 30-06 class that will be easier to find reduced data for? I'm sure that size of the kid and size of rifle have a lot to do with it, but just getting the kid used to a center fire rifle, will go a long way towards developing good shooting habits. Besides, think of the bragging rights, when she shows up at school and tells her friends that she ran 20 rounds through the Old Man's 06 (or even 375) last weekend.