Thread: If This Were Your Last Hunt...

Default If This Were Your Last Hunt...

Looks like I'm doing what I said I would never do and moving south sometime this year, hopefully after moose season. I'm trying to plan out a series of hunts this year. Didn't put in for any draw tags, so all GH for the most part, although I have a brown bear registration tag for the Kenai that's good until June.

I never got around to buying a boat, although i wouldn't be opposed to picking up a jet boat for a few months, something I can sell easily, but will probably be paying the majority of my own relocation costs, so I don't exactly have unlimited funds.

So here's the question I pose to you: If this might be your last chance to hunt Alaska where would you go? (General ideas, obviously.) Mostly interested in bears, sheep, and would really like to get a legitimate wall hanger of a moose even though I got a decent one last year.

I'm probably heading down to POW to chase after black bears here in late Aprilish, and am going to be spending time chasing brownies around the Kenai once they are out. Other than that, blank slate...

I think you are on the right track, bears and sheep will be prohobitive after you leave due to residency, and another big moost is well.....another big moose. Plus you can come back anytime to chase those.

If your KP brown bear doesn't pan out, there's lots of bears and liberal tags out in Bristol Bay, nice place to hunt as well, may not be the hugest browns in AK but I doubt you'd regret the experience. I'd suggest a Kodiak or POW deer as well but these can also be done easily from outside.

Good question, yanbu, but it really is up to you.

I had the same dilemma before I left AK. I made a bucket list for that last year.

Wanted one last ram as a resident. Was blessed.
    Wanted to take my first blackbear over bait with a bow...was blessed with a great bear that last year.
    Wanted to do the death march and kill a Haul Road caribou. Was it as tough as everyone says? Yep, but doable. Was blessed with a huge bull 6 miles out, although the antlers were left on the tundra. The meat was the important cargo and the haul was epic. Crossing the Sag in waders with a pack full of meat and sled (which floated) was the tough part. Thankfully the River was down a bit that Fall.
    Wanted to catch a halibut and king from my Avon raft out of Deep Creek/Ninilchik. Did both. Was incredible hauling in a nice 'but in the inflatable out there on the ocean.
    Did about everything I wanted.

The decision is your own!
    Plan well, hunt safe. Have a great last season.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I think you are on the right track, bears and sheep will be prohobitive after you leave due to residency, and another big moost is well.....another big moose. Plus you can come back anytime to chase those.

If your KP brown bear doesn't pan out, there's lots of bears and liberal tags out in Bristol Bay, nice place to hunt as well, may not be the hugest browns in AK but I doubt you'd regret the experience. I'd suggest a Kodiak or POW deer as well but these can also be done easily from outside.

Bristol Bay wasn't even on the radar, good idea man, thanks. Two trips to POW might not be in the cards, and I have family in Ketchikan so I can come back and do that if I need a fix, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post

Good question, yanbu, but it really is up to you.

Yeah, I know, just fishing for ideas. Mostly things that would be too expensive/time consuming once I'm not a resident, big or small. Hell, for the $10000 for a bear or sheep hunt non-res guys drop, I'd rather just make a down payment on a condo and keep my residency!

Tho I think you were jesting, the condo payment won't give you residency from an ADFG or PFD perspective.....

Yeah, i know, but then I could snow bird!

PFD aside, i wonder how many days you actually have to spend in AK to be a resident for hunting license? I imagine its in the regs somewhere.

What about a mountain goat trip? Did a Kodiak trip for goats and I have to say that was a pretty awesome trip.

That could be cool as well. Looks like there is a registration hunt on Kodiak. Never goat hunted before.

I've been in AK for almost 32 years now and I've never been to Kodiak. Would love to go on a goat and deer hunt someday there......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I've been in AK for almost 32 years now and I've never been to Kodiak. Would love to go on a goat and deer hunt someday there......
    Ha ha! Me too! I've been up here 41 years and never made it out there. My dad did a lot of walking around on Afognak in the 60s when it was part of the Chugach National Forest. Maybe we should go out there sometime 4mer... before we are too dang old!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Got ya beat. 46 years for me. Been trying for one of them bear tags for 25 years now. Someday.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am