Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

I have raised a whole clan of gun nuts. I have supplied most of the energy behind our way of thinking and most of the guns. The family keeps getting bigger and my stash of guns keeps getting deployed. I must pause to say that all of my grown children and their spouses have permits to carry that also serve as permits to acquire. My grandkids are at the age where they are starting to take interest in hunting and shooting. There are a few guns that are mine and stay where they are but my kids know that they can take the other guns and ammo for the purpose of teaching the grandkids and their friends. They all know that grandpa frowns strongly on waisting ammo. The 10/22s do not have 25 round magazines and each round fired needs to have an intended target. As my off spring get proficient with a certain firearm they often lay claims to that firearm. I really don't care as long as it is evenly spread through out and they intend to keep the gun.

I recently took inventory of my handguns to see who had what. Everyone is happy with how they are distributed and all were accounted for. As for me I still have one Glock 22, a Ruger MKII target pistol, a Kahr 9mm and a Ruger Blackhawk 44. I can accomplish anything that needs accomplished with that line up. However! Most of my deer hunting these days is done with a handgun. My son has been eyeballing my Super Blackhawk. He is at the point where he sees the need for a sidearm while hunting. He's going to end up with it anyway one day. So I have decided to find me a different deer handgun and pass on the BlackHawk. A recent thread or two on the 10mm got my attention. Then a youtube video from hickok45 really got me excited about a Glock 20 in 10 mm with a longer barrel. I decided to give it a day or two so as not to act on impulse. I went down in my reloading room and did some inventory. I have 750 rounds of 44 mag already loaded. That lot is made up of about half target loads and half deer hunting loads. I have another 400 rounds of brand new brass and a bunch of bullets. Common sense says that since I don't have a single 10mm brass in the joint that the only wise thing to do is go with another 44 mag. So I have decided to do just that. I want a 44 that can also be a carry gun if I decide to carry it. I am stuck between one of the new S&W Combat Masterpieces with a 4.25 inch barrel and a 5.5 inch Redhawk(with a Hogue grip).

Nobody knows more about the 44 mag revolvers than the folk on this forum so......Old EKC is looking at possibly his last ever deer hunting/ carry side arm purchase. Guide me with your wisdom fellas! The RedHawk or the S&W?

Well if it has to be a DA then I'll say Redhawk
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have had a 629 for years. Takes 300 grain loads running full tilt with no problems. It has always been an awesome pistol.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I was about to ship ya a boatload of shiny 41 mag brass EKC - don't tell me ya traded that puppy off too?
    We can't use semi auto handguns for deer hunting in IL - and I like the revolver grips better when shooting the big calibers like 44 mag so I would vote for the S & W... Personally if'n I was just gonna use it for poken holes in deer I would consider a Ruger Bisley in 45LC - 7 1/2 bbl...
    BTH I tried sending you a couple text messages lately and no reply - you lose your phone again?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

If deer hunting is the game, only one pistol comes to mind. Thompson Center Contender, 10" .44 magnum with a 1.5X dot scope. I have taken 10-12 deer with mine out to over 100 yards. The 30/30 with 150's is awesome too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I was about to ship ya a boatload of shiny 41 mag brass EKC - don't tell me ya traded that puppy off too?
    We can't use semi auto handguns for deer hunting in IL - and I like the revolver grips better when shooting the big calibers like 44 mag so I would vote for the S & W... Personally if'n I was just gonna use it for poken holes in deer I would consider a Ruger Bisley in 45LC - 7 1/2 bbl...
    BTH I tried sending you a couple text messages lately and no reply - you lose your phone again?
    Sorry Smokey. I've been under the weather pretty bad this last week. I ain't done much talking to anybody. I did send you an email at your work address bout an hr ago.

No more 41 mag.. My nephew in the Ozarks carries it for running off folk that are after his sing roots. He is one dude who's "keep out or else" signs mean zactly what they say. He has booby traps set that can leave a feller hanging upside down from a tree. Other than that he's a nice guy! Only one guy that I know of got found upside down. "Tonner" drug his ass stark raving naked through a big ole poison ivy patch behind the wheeler! What they say about those folk in the hills is true! I always call before I drive down the lane! He ain't to far from our very own Murphy and I'd be hesitant to wander up his lane without an invite too. You got a still yet Murphy? Your neighbors up the hill from Ioway? The ones what directed me to your homestead! Well they moved to southern mostest Missouri cuz they aren't only man and wife but siblings too! Please tell me they didn't go and have kids. If they get to coming around to much let me know and I'll have "Tonner" come learn ya how to make one of them upside down hanging booby traps. Ok, I'll shut up now!

Back to what gun ya'all think I ortsta finish out my deer plunkin career with. Will, I thought about going single action again. I can have that hammer back in a hurry. I usually try to wait until after I've cleared leather cuz I'm a skeerty cat when it comes to shootin myself in the leg. I have never found any fault with a BlackHawk. The Bisley handle makes it point funny for my liking so it's have to be a plain Blackhawk.

Remember fellas! I'm wanting this gun as a potential carry gun as well. You ever stick a scoped Contender down your pants? Me neither and I ain't about to!

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have had a 629 for years. Takes 300 grain loads running full tilt with no problems. It has always been an awesome pistol.
    Can the new ones stand up to that kind of punishment. I have thought about looking for an older 629 that's done more laying around than shooting. I cut my eye teeth shooting a 686 and I got real good with it too. I like the way the older Smiths feel. They point real natural like. Then so does my Blackhawk.

Get to your Elmer roots,just trim that brass
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...D+44SP+4.62%22

Built on the old medium frame
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you