Thread: Rules for exporting raw trophy out of US by the hunter

Default Rules for exporting raw trophy out of US by the hunter

A russian hunter is coming out to hunt Dall sheep this fall. He wants to take raw trophy back to russia with him in checked baggage. USFWS office said that he will need to present the trophy in person, and he can get the export certificate right away. He does need a vet certificate for the country he is importing to (russia). The USDA vet told us that at this time raw trophy cannot be imported from US to russia because russia requires a special certificate that US cannot provide. Therefore only partially treated or treated trophy can be exported via Knight's or Alpha Fur. The hunter insists that he has the russian border covered (via some kind of a special permit I guess) and wants to know if raw trophy will be allowed to exit US without a vet certificate?

What do they ask for at the US border when a foreign hunter is transporting raw trophy with him? Does he necessarily need a vet certificate to exit US with the trophy, or is that only needed for entrance to another country?

Any thoughts?

Sergey.

If he really wants to avoid the headache(s) that are associated with exporting wildlife, he ought to just pay Knight's or Alpha - I think RJ at Pro Taxidermy also offers international expediting.

I am fairly confident he has to have the vet cert. (USDA) and USFWS seal of approval as well as an exporter's license, I believe. And then he has to deal with import on the other side of the pond.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I would think his guide would have that all figured out for him.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I shipped many many mounts to foreign countries as well as salted skins. The easiest way is to flesh and salt the skin, boil out the horns(or macerate) and then box up everything and send it to Coppersmith or Flora and Fauna. They will make sure it gets to the clients home/taxidermist. Import/Export is what they do all day every day. It will cut down on the "I have a permit" mix up at the borders.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Thank you for your replies. Apparently, it turns out that you don't need to present anything when exiting US border with a trophy. Declaration must be filed, but nobody will be asking to review it at the US border.

EVERY country is different when it comes to IMPORTATION.

& Yes the hunter Might be able to sneak a skin & horns in but in the event that he does get questioned, there Will HAVE to be an EXPORT Permit From USF&W,
    Plus in the event that the hunter lives in a Certain country that ( EU ) requirements exist. the Sheep will have to be Tanned ( No exceptions) & the skull Must be mounted an a plaque which is considered a finished mount or be totally mounted .

Russia has ALOT of different countries within & as I stated ALL have different requirements.

In the event that the animal has been brought in without proper paperwork, the animal can be seized, & the hunter Jailed for SMUGGLING.

I do ship several trophies to Russia every year & it is not as simple as that guy thinks.

THEN if the USF&W finds out that he IMPROPERLY Exported the sheep he can also be arrested if he ever returns to the USA.

GOOD Luck,

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    907 322 0936
    ww.protaxidermy.com
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    EVERY country is different when it comes to IMPORTATION.

& Yes the hunter Might be able to sneak a skin & horns in but in the event that he does get questioned, there Will HAVE to be an EXPORT Permit From USF&W,
    Plus in the event that the hunter lives in a Certain country that ( EU ) requirements exist. the Sheep will have to be Tanned ( No exceptions) & the skull Must be mounted an a plaque which is considered a finished mount or be totally mounted .

Russia has ALOT of different countries within & as I stated ALL have different requirements.

In the event that the animal has been brought in without proper paperwork, the animal can be seized, & the hunter Jailed for SMUGGLING.

I do ship several trophies to Russia every year & it is not as simple as that guy thinks.

THEN if the USF&W finds out that he IMPROPERLY Exported the sheep he can also be arrested if he ever returns to the USA.

GOOD Luck,

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    907 322 0936
    ww.protaxidermy.com
    Thank you for the info.

I will forward your contacts to the hunter in case he needs a taxidermist.