Thread: Favorite float trip

Default Favorite float trip

Figured I'd take advantage of our collective cabin fever to take a quick poll of people's favorite float trips in AK.

I find myself with the adequate time, funds, and fish-crazed friends and just enough rafting and wilderness skills to go BIG this summer/fall on a remote, unguided float trip. Looking for a few "best" options on a river and timeframe. Our primary interest is rainbows - particularly big (>5 lbs) bows or those willing to take flies on the swing or topwater. Fresh kings or silvers or steelhead could also work. We've already covered the Kenai and other KP streams, the Parks Highway, Gulkana, Situk, Alagnak, Ivishak and the Kodiak road system - and they all can be great - but I'm looking for a few new options. After pouring through the guidebooks and this forum, my preliminary thoughts include the Kanektok or, closer to home, upper Clear Creek or the Tal.

If you had a week with your buddies to fish anywhere in AK, where would you go?

All opinions welcome -- thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by dinker View Post
    All opinions welcome
    In that case....my opinion is that you've listed some kick ***** rivers here. I wouldn't like to see that list grow publicly on this forum. PM's work great for this type of inquiry. Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning and need more coffee, but that's my opinion. Also try the search function as there is already too much information buried in some older threads.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    In that case....my opinion is that you've listed some kick ***** rivers here. I wouldn't like to see that list grow publicly on this forum. PM's work great for this type of inquiry. Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning and need more coffee, but that's my opinion. Also try the search function as there is already too much information buried in some older threads.
    I had the same reaction. Google don't keep quiet spots all that quiet anymore.
    Just ask the folks that fished that river in Yakutat 20 years ago.

To the OP, any of those mentioned are great. Some more crowded than others, but if I was focusing on beeeeg trout, the rivers that come to mind aren't listed.

Good luck.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Your points are well-taken guys. Can't expect (nor would I want) people to divulge all their secret spots on a public forum. I normally enjoy the exploratory, trial-and-error process myself but with out-of-state friends ponying up lots of cash and vacation time I don't want to swing and miss this time.

Maybe a better question for me to ask is for references for good guides / air services that could help craft a trip that meets our interests.

If I had a week - I would first extend it to 10 days - and go to other places besides the ones you mentioned which have a whole lot less people and better fishing; call PapaBearAdventures (Steve Powers) out of Bethel or visit his website for better choices.

First week of the season when the ice goes out the Talkeetna from Stephan Lake down to Talkeetna has fantastic Rainbow fishing.
    Very good whitewater and no people for most of the trip.

Jerry Jacques
    Master Guide #110

Situk for sure! makes for an epic day long float or it can be split into several days