Thread: Problem with Leupold Scope

Default Problem with Leupold Scope

We have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby Mag with a VXII 3x9 50mm scope. The rifle and scope are about 20 years old. When first purchased, we had a problem with scope slipping in the the scope rings. Added a couple of shims to the rings and the rifle/scope has held zero and operated flawlessly since. It has been used the last few seasons with no problems. It has not been dropped or jarred but last season the variable adjustment became very stiff during cold weather. It is inside now and continues to be very stiff. Checked the gap between the scope rings and the variable adjustment ring and it is fine with no slippage in the scope. Before I send it back to Leupold, any ideas or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    Before I send it back to Leupold, any ideas or suggestions?
    Just send it back to them. They're very quick and reliable.

This is not an unusual problem for any scope with that much age. There are a lot of "rubber" seals involved with a variable scope and they degrade over time. I'd send it back to Leupold with a note indicating the issues youre experiencing and I suspect you'll get it back in 10-15 business days as good as new with no cost to you except the original shipping ($15ish).

You didn't say, but if your scope is gloss finished they are sometimes prone to slip in rings under recoil. To prevent this I've used a light coating of rubber cement in the lower half of each ring with great success in the past.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    This is not an unusual problem for any scope with that much age. There are a lot of "rubber" seals involved with a variable scope and they degrade over time. I'd send it back to Leupold with a note indicating the issues youre experiencing and I suspect you'll get it back in 10-15 business days as good as new with no cost to you except the original shipping ($15ish).

You didn't say, but if your scope is gloss finished they are sometimes prone to slip in rings under recoil. To prevent this I've used a light coating of rubber cement in the lower half of each ring with great success in the past.
    Thanks for the info and suggestion. I'll try it.

Yup. My fix, too. Got one that way that's been on the rifle over 30 years, and hasn't slipped a bit.

Send it back to leupold and they will take care of you. The best customer service I have ever had dealings with.

Dirt and grime gets in the power ring. Try a little oil and let it soak in. My partner sent 2 of his Leupold back to them for that same reason. They with fix it and check scope over with no repair charge. It will just cost you to ship it back to them.

Tried a little drop of oil on both sides of the power ring and let it sit muzzle up and muzzle down. Still very stiff. I think it's time to let the folks at Leupold do their magic.

Tried a little drop of oil on both sides of the power ring and let it sit muzzle up and muzzle down. Still very stiff. I think it's time to let the folks at Leupold do their magic.
    It's a wise decision. I've never been treated less than stellar by Leupold, and I've returned a bunch of stuff.

I'm curious on the rubber cement trick. Logic would tell me that having a "rubbery" material between the ring and scope would cause scope POI shift.

Obviously, that has not been your experience Cor. Any thoughts on why it stays put during recoil? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I'm curious on the rubber cement trick. Logic would tell me that having a "rubbery" material between the ring and scope would cause scope POI shift.

Obviously, that has not been your experience Cor. Any thoughts on why it stays put during recoil? Thx
    There's not a lot of "rubbery" material in the ring; just enough to provide some grip. Regardless, whatever is used I suspect forms something of a hydraulic lock and I've never experienced a shift in POI using it. I've used other things in the past; friction tape, resin and shims (plastic and aluminum) all come to mind, but on gloss scopes the rubber cement doesn't mar the finish and has worked perfectly for me. I've long since switched to matte finished scopes simply to avoid this issue altogether, but I did a lot of shooting before that was an option....

I've heard of people using the rubber cement trick. Sounds like it should work. What a lot of high power, big boomers, use is plan old rosin. Brownells sells it. A bag will last you 10 lifetimes. Just sprinkle a little on the rings and the scope ain't going no where's. The other thing that works is good old Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound (cool name). Paint a bit on the rings and the scope is nice and tighty.

There's not a lot of "rubbery" material in the ring; just enough to provide some grip. Regardless, whatever is used I suspect forms something of a hydraulic lock and I've never experienced a shift in POI using it. I've used other things in the past; friction tape, resin and shims (plastic and aluminum) all come to mind, but on gloss scopes the rubber cement doesn't mar the finish and has worked perfectly for me. I've long since switched to matte finished scopes simply to avoid this issue altogether, but I did a lot of shooting before that was an option....

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    I've heard of people using the rubber cement trick. Sounds like it should work. What a lot of high power, big boomers, use is plan old rosin. Brownells sells it. A bag will last you 10 lifetimes. Just sprinkle a little on the rings and the scope ain't going no where's. The other thing that works is good old Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound (cool name). Paint a bit on the rings and the scope is nice and tighty.
    I always called it Permatex Redskin Head Gasket Shellac Compound. Just because.

The great thing about Leupold is if they can't fix your scope they will give you a brand new one at no charge.
    "Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

We have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby Mag with a VXII 3x9 50mm scope. The rifle and scope are about 20 years old. When first purchased, we had a problem with scope slipping in the the scope rings. Added a couple of shims to the rings and the rifle/scope has held zero and operated flawlessly since. It has been used the last few seasons with no problems. It has not been dropped or jarred but last season the variable adjustment became very stiff during cold weather. It is inside now and continues to be very stiff. Checked the gap between the scope rings and the variable adjustment ring and it is fine with no slippage in the scope. Before I send it back to Leupold, any ideas or suggestions?
    I sent a Leupold scope, 2x7 VX II back for a tight power ring.

They didn't improve it, any, and that after saying via email that they could and would.

I was hopin someone would have a solution for such a problem, too. Maybe a bit of silicon in there somewhere. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I sent a problem scope in and it wasn't fixed correctly so I sent it back again and the issue was taken care of.
    "Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!"

I have an older VX1 in 2x7 which also has a power ring that I feel should be easier to turn. I probably won't bother sending it back though as it currently isn't on a rifle.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    I have an older VX1 in 2x7 which also has a power ring that I feel should be easier to turn. I probably won't bother sending it back though as it currently isn't on a rifle.
    On the other hand, now would be a good time, since it's not in use.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.