Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 hmr?

Default .17 hmr?

Sooo, I'm ready to give up searching for .22. I just don't have time to drive all over gods creation hope some one will have a box. I'm thinking of switching to .17 HMR. Seems cheap enough and makes a great excuse to get a new rifle. The delema, bolt, lever, or semiauto. I know tough choices 😜. What do you guys and gals have, what do you like and why. This rifle will eventually go to my son when he's ready to start shooting so I'm leaning towards a bolt gun.
    looking for some advice on rifles. I never owned a ruger, or savage, or Henry. I see browning is making one to. Gonna be a target/hunting rifle as apps ex to a safe queen...lol

All the semi-autos were pulled off the market for a safety hazard, don't know if that's been corrected.

The only one I've shot was a $250 savage and it shot lights out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, i think they've gone up some since that one was purchased.

I like Marlin .22s enough I'd buy a .17 Marlin without hesitation.

I like my new .270 so much I'd strongly consider a Ruger too.

I think a lever would be great if it's in the budget and you want to shoot irons, scopes on lever guns just look odd to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the bolt action Ruger .17 HMR. BSA makes a scope specifically for the .17 HMR. I love it. With that scope I am comfortable making shots at 200 yds. It takes magazines similar to the Ruger 10/22 so my biggest problem is keeping those separated. I also have a Taurus pistol in .17 HMR that works nicely as well.

I originally got the rifle for fur bears as the FMJ rounds leave hardly a trace of an exit wound on a delicate fox.

And really I should not be expounding on how much I like this cartridge as now there will be less available if you get a rifle.

The semi 17 is back as of this year with the release of the Savage A17.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The semi 17 is back as of this year with the release of the Savage A17.
    Interesting I'll have to take a look.

I have a marlin laminated bull barrel .17hmr and its sweet. It all depends on what you are going to do with it. I would go bolt action if you are going to have the kid learn with it or hand it down. I feel bolt actions slow them down so they can learn a weapon and not blast through rounds like crazy.

Yup Akriver your preaching to the choir..lol. I have a single shot .22 for him to learn and start out with. But am looking to the 17 for him/ and me to hunt and hone his acuracy skills when the time comes. He's only 1.5 yrs old right now so I got some time to break in the new rifle. I think I have it narrowed down to the ruger 77/17 and the Henry varmit express lever. I think it's a great problem to have. Thank you all for the input and advise. And keep it comin. I like to hear others ideas, food for thought.

I forgot the CZ came in a .17, that would be my pick for an heirloom rifle!

Limon32, who sells cz locally? I like to put my hands on em before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    Limon32, who sells cz locally? I like to put my hands on em before buying.
    pretty sure GNG has them

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    pretty sure GNG has them
    ThAts where I've seen them too.

2dawgs; for the money you can't beat the Ruger American in 17HMR. Mine will shoot inch groups at a hunert when the wind lays down.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    2dawgs; for the money you can't beat the Ruger American in 17HMR. Mine will shoot inch groups at a hunert when the wind lays down.
    Yes EKC, I looked at them and held one. For the money they seem like a great rifle and it's good to hear they shoot so well. Unfortunately they had a 77/17 there as well, and were priced about $100 bucks below MSRP. And with a gift certificate will end up cheaper than the American. Plus it just felt better in my hands, and seemed to have a smoother action. Iduno $50 bucks off an Ruger American would make for some cheap plinking. Still tossing it all around and haven't been down to see the CZ yet.

I've got a Savage 17HMR with accutrigger, 5 round box magazine, synthetic stock, and stainless heavy target barrel. Fun to shoot, but I'm looking to replace it with a target caliber for longer distance shooting. If you want it send me an email (I don't think I get PMs).

I have the Savage 17 hmr and it's a tack driver I have the 93 r17 for the price it's a fun little gun to shoot and easily shoots out to 200yds

I'd be a little nervous buying a odd ball RF after what happened to the 5MM.

Any idea how long the 5mm lasted an how many companies built ammo and rifles?

I had a similar fear about the 17hmr but new rifles are still hitting the market and all the major players in rifles and ammo are in the game.

Love my Ruger American. Hard to beat the price and like has been said, it's a tack driver. Just wish it came in stainless. I hear that's in the works. But I didn't want to wait when I bought it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Love my Ruger American. Hard to beat the price and like has been said, it's a tack driver. Just wish it came in stainless. I hear that's in the works. But I didn't want to wait when I bought it last year.
    Id like to have one with a laminate wood stock, I hope that's in the works!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast