Thread: .500 S&W Magnum load?

Default .500 S&W Magnum load?

I've tested out a couple of different powder and bullet combinations and I'm really getting a kick(pun) out of this pistol. I came across some Trailboss and loaded up a couple of rounds using 12 gr of TB and a 350 gr Berrys plated flat nose. Any comments on that before I pull the trigger?

I bought some TrailBoss but haven't loaded any of it yet. At the time it was the only powder on the shelf.

I recently read an article by John Ross (link is on accurate reloading . com in the handgun hunting sub forum) about the history, etc. on the 500 S&W. He mentions not compressing TrailBoss because if you break the donuts you may change the burn rate.

UNQ. has worked well enough for me in the lite 500 loads with cast bullets out of an RCBS mold.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I shot some Trail Boss loads a couple of days ago, they were loaded at Max with a 350 grain Berrys. They had a different POI and bigger spread than the H 4227 loads I've been having the best luck with. I'm going to load some more Trail Boss cutting it down a 1 grain and see how they shoot. I did have less recoil with the Trail Boss but was disappointed with the accuracy with the maximum load.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I bought some TrailBoss but haven't loaded any of it yet. At the time it was the only powder on the shelf.

I recently read an article by John Ross (link is on accurate reloading . com in the handgun hunting sub forum) about the history, etc. on the 500 S&W. He mentions not compressing TrailBoss because if you break the donuts you may change the burn rate.

UNQ. has worked well enough for me in the lite 500 loads with cast bullets out of an RCBS mold.

It's nice to hear that you are having fun with TrailBoss.
    My understanding is that TrailBoss is for Cowboy shooting (i.e. lower power factor) and shooting for fun.

The 500SW cartridge is meant for a magnum load, not really designed for lower load. The favorite powder for this cartridge is usually Win 296, H110, Lil' Gun, 300-MP, PowerPistol, 2400 and loaded in the upper half of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    It's nice to hear that you are having fun with TrailBoss.
    My understanding is that TrailBoss is for Cowboy shooting (i.e. lower power factor) and shooting for fun.

The 500SW cartridge is meant for a magnum load, not really designed for lower load. The favorite powder for this cartridge is usually Win 296, H110, Lil' Gun, 300-MP, PowerPistol, 2400 and loaded in the upper half of the spectrum.
    I've pretty much settled on H4227 at 42 gr's and 350 gr. Berrys. I've kind of decided to use the Trailboss for when someone wants to try it that hasn't shot a magnum pistol before

Just wondering how those followup shots were coming along. Some of those powders have a rather hard time going bang in the cold. Trailboss might be for the cowboy action shooters but it has never failed to fire for me in any weather. 10 grains of powder behind a slighly bigger bullet (450 gr rather than 350 gr ) produces 1,000fps mv for 1,000 ft lbs energy out of 2.5 in barrel. Also keeps all nickles worth on an 8in. pie plate at 60yds in under 4 seconds. Slow but I am working on that when I can.

I dropped down to 10 gr on the Trailboss with the 350 gr Berrys but I haven't shot any of them yet. Next time I'm out I'll post a update. I've been loading for the 25-06 . I loaded some Accurate 4350 @ 54 gr and 100 gr Ballistic Tips and got some cracked necks. I don't yet know what caused that but I dropped down a grain and will try that next. Like everything else I ordered some 115 gr Partitions for the 25-06 and they were backordered May 5th. I'm kind of waiting for them for some testing before my next shoot.