Thread: 40 mile Winter Hunt.............you got shafted!

Default 40 mile Winter Hunt.............you got shafted!

The 40 mile winter bou hunt began Dec. 1, 2014. The quota was around 100 animals I believe. Harvest was steady all winter with animals being available in zone 1 off the Steese and Chena Hot Springs road.
    Around Feb. 1 the Dept. moved 50 bou of the zone 3 area quota to the zone 1 area. Harvest in zone 3 was almost zero and half of the taylor was closed because of Nelchina bou in the area. I spoke to a bio in the ADF&G Tok office in early Feb. and he said the Dept. wanted the animals harvested. There was no problem with the extra 50 getting harvested in zone 1.
    Last week, the Dept issued an EO to close zone 1 Feb. 22nd at midnite. They expected the quota to be met or close to met by then. Well, we all know what the weather was this past weekend, and as of today, Tues. the harvest is over 60 animals short of the quota. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but 60 bou is a lot of FOOD.
    I spoke to the Tok office this morning and suggested they re open the hunt in zone 1. There are still very few bou in zone 3. However, I have been told that area bio Jeff Gross thinks zone 1 folks have had plenty of time to harvest and he is not going to re open. There's no biological reason not to open. It's unlikely the remaining quota will be filled by taylor hiway hunters. So a harvestable quota, set by supposedly knowledgeable bio's, will go unfilled. The people of Alaska get shorted by the Dept. again.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

And you have been waiting for?????

Or just maybe "BIG GAME HUNTERS" got sick of killing Cows with half developed Fetus in the gut pile. They will be birthing those calves in 2.5 Months.

Hardly enough to get worked up about. Managing caribou harvest to 1/10th of 1 percent seems like a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post

And you have been waiting for?????
    I take it you are thinking I still want my chance. That would be incorrect. I hunted twice and harvested a bou just over a week ago. Good try tho SH.
    While 60 animals might be a small part of the total pop, it is still a lot of food.

Everyone I know that wanted a caribou got one. Stayed open way longer than I expected. If 2.5 months isn't long enough, I'm not sure what to say.
    Last edited by johnny_reb; 02-24-2015 at 20:37. Reason: typo