Thread: Sheep Hunt timing

Default Sheep Hunt timing

When do you prefer to hunt sheep? Opener, mid-season, or late season? And why do you prefer that time period? Thought this could be a good thread with the sheep stuff going on lately.

I'll start it off. I prefer to hunt later in the season in september. Mainly due to there being no competition from other sheep hunters and although I may see fewer legal rams overall the larger and older rams tend to come down to lower elevations.

If the snow is cooperating I prefer to sheep hunt in March. Hides are prime, meat stays nice and cold and the pack out usually isn't too bad. Lots of daylight too. Late September is usually a fun time but were usually up to our ears with caribou and moose around that time.

Later. Mature Rams get
    Pushed into the back of the valleys from pressure and are a lot easier to find, then it's go time.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I agree, later is better although weather can be more of an issue. I remember talking this subject with Charlie Warbelow before he passed. His observations were that the older mature rams came out of the craggies a bit later in the season.

Final Answer: Any time is the best time

Late season - less completion
    - less bugs
    - cooler weather
    - better chance for older/more mature (ie. bigger) ram
    - as mentioned above, any time is better than no time

- Good Luck
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"