Thread: George Hamm K-Bay 28'

Default George Hamm K-Bay 28'

I'm considering a 28' boat. The hull was made by George Hamm of Homer.
    The model is the K-Bay 28

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with these boats.
    I's interested in any information regarding handling characteristics, seaworthiness, weight capacity
    speed, fuel efficiency etc.

Thanks

I have done glass work on them and added a outboard mount on one. PM me with your number. If you see any cracks in the transom area run away as fast as you can.

Set-netted in Bristol bay out of one for a couple seasons. 20 footer I think. I liked it for what it was.....an open work skiff. Quieter and warmer than aluminum. Rode through the chop pretty well but in the right conditions it could be a wet ride sometimes.

I've been on one quite a bit that's used to haul passengers & kayaks.
    What's your main use?
    I was on the verge of buyin one a few years back before I got my hewes, few reasons why I didn't:
    1. They beat you to death
    2. Fiberglass & wood (they are all old models)
    3. Couldn't make it easily beach able although some use them for water taxis here, also see #2
    For the size of boat, they are fairly light and that coupled to very little deadrise makes a rough ride. The one I've been on was rated for 18 pax and even loaded heavy I'd blow the doors off it on the same runs and drinkin my coffee without spilling a drop. That one was powered by a single 225 Honda and was under powered, now it has a 300 suzuki on it.
    Overall I think it'd be a fun project and there's loads of room on them but the ride just isn't great and there isn't a thing you can do about that .
    Minimal power I think would be a big single or twin 150's.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Big Jim,

My main use is to do a bit of long line fishing in PWS.
    My secondary use would be to do some overnight trips in PWS
    I own a Hewes 22 OP HT. Its a great boat but has its limitations (just not enough space and weight hauling ability)

Thanks for taking the time to respond I appreciate the input.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I know that they don't like chop, or I don't like chop in them!