Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burbot Success/pike spearing

Default Burbot Success/pike spearing

Second week in a row with another Burbot success. Just a day trip 6 pike landed and 1 burbot landed. Also 4 got off at the hole, and 3 tip ups had there line out but no bait. Tried out pike spearing with decoys for the second time as well but AGAIN nothing came in. Just steady action on the tip ups.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do you like your ice saw? And how dark is it in the hooch while you're spearing? I picked up gear again after a 20 year hiatus from spearing essox. Was thinking a frame of ply around the hole would get'r dark enough to make it work.

Save egg shells if you don't already, I have zippies in the freezer. They work well.

What are you running for a spearing deke? We've always done better dead sticking herring than I have jigging gear. I don't know whats with that. Red and white dekes have done well for us over the years. Will see how they do up here.

Nice pout btw!

Nice burbot!!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    How do you like your ice saw? And how dark is it in the hooch while you're spearing? I picked up gear again after a 20 year hiatus from spearing essox. Was thinking a frame of ply around the hole would get'r dark enough to make it work.

Save egg shells if you don't already, I have zippies in the freezer. They work well.

What are you running for a spearing deke? We've always done better dead sticking herring than I have jigging gear. I don't know whats with that. Red and white dekes have done well for us over the years. Will see how they do up here.

Nice pout btw!

Tradbow, The saw works great a lot better then I thought it would. It takes about 45 minutes extra to get the hole finished. I drill one hole on each corner then two additional holes on each side of the longer part of the rectangle (of my hole). Then I connect the holes with the saw and I make a cut through the middle to reduce the weight of the ice piece. Two tips that are key to doing the spearing hole is. 1. make sure you cut perfectly straight. example if you cut the ice hole at an angle you cant push the ice down in the hole under the older ice. 2. rather then pushing the ice under the hole and blocking an angle a potential pike might approach. example if you have 6 feet of water under you and you push that huge block under the ice and the ice is 2.5 feet thick you created a 40% barrier in the water column if a fish is coming that direction. TAKE THE BLOCK OUT.
    Attach 3 or 4 ice screws into the top of the Ice block that's floating and attach your ratchet straps to them and get 3 people and pull the whole block out. We figured this out by not following step 2 correctly and it actually worked better then pushing the blocks under the ice. Also don't push the blocks with the saw it can bend if you push that much weight. We did this too.

I'm dead sticking herring and using different decoys. Red/white and Chartreuse/green. I forgot the name of them.

Awesome fish!!! not to be that guy but i assume you put the blocks of ice back into the hole when your done fishing? It would suck to hit one at night with a snowmachine
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Well your that guy, you assumed wrong. I put them on the pile of other spearing blocks in the woods. Thanks for your concern though.

I have the same Ice saw and love it.
    I have some old wooden decoys gifted to me and I prefer them to all others.
    The plastic Bear Creek Decoys are junk IMHO. They use water to weight the decoy which is hard to remove. If left in the water freezes and cracks the decoy destroying it.
    I do have some Lakco decoys that I have used and do like them. I have also bought white Lakco ones and repainted them to look like Alaska fish.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Awesome fish!!! not to be that guy but i assume you put the blocks of ice back into the hole when your done fishing? It would suck to hit one at night with a snowmachine
    Don't outrun your headlights. No difference between manmade or nature made obstacles: if you outrun your headlight, you're going to hit it.. put the blame where it lies, on the driver. Drive responsibly, there is no problem. Drive too fast, any obstacles in the trail are the responsibility of the driver. Hijack over.

I would put the ice blocks in the hole if they didn't freeze to the ice in seconds and you shouldn't drive that fast at night. You must be the guy running over everyone's tip ups st night. I have 2 Lakco decoys and a spro jointed 12" rainbow trout.

Quote Originally Posted by IceHunter View Post
    I would put the ice blocks in the hole if they didn't freeze to the ice in seconds and you shouldn't drive that fast at night. You must be the guy running over everyone's tip ups st night. I have 2 Lakco decoys and a spro jointed 12" rainbow trout.
    I fish at night with tip ups just as much as anyone else sorry for ruffling your feathers. And I have never ran a tip up over. Normally when I fish tip ups I have to watch them all the time cause they go up so frequently.

And to the guy that says don't out run your headlights tell that to all the people that hit noose with their cars.

I got fish to catch. Carry on

Sent while partying

Nice fish B!!! Haven't seen/heard from ya in a while broseph!! Been dialing in my pike pike game all winter on a few road accessible spots and finally seeing reasonably decent success... You got plans for this weekend or you working? I'd love to tag along with ya sometime if you got room for a tall gangly guy that talks too much.... Ps, I'll bring party favors

No worries Kwack. Lets go Legion of Boom I'm not worknig. I'm not doing anything this weekend. I cant go to my usual spot but maybe long lake or some of the other pike lakes we can try. Come by the shop Friday

Thanks for the ice screw tip icehunter! Whodathunk it! I've never had to mess with 3' thick blocks of ice, we were doing good with 6-8"es growing up.

Probably wont get out this winter much. Prepping for next. Eyeballs deep before I head south for trout!

One thing we did do was cut the hole wider at the bottom than top. I think you were referring to wider at the top than bottom and not being aple to push it through. We typically sawed or spudded them and pulled with tongs in pieces....again not something I'd expect to do up here with any amount of ease this time of year LOL!

i also use ice tongs. i bought them off ebay and they work great. now if i could find water clear enough to see well, AND a lake with enough pike for a few to come in to my decoy, i'd be set

Yeah that's what I meant cutting the hole bigger on the top made us do the ice screw trick. With the ice being 18 inches thick its hard to cut the ice at an angle to see better. I'm going to get the spearing decoys ready and trident sharpened. I'm gonna try memory lake tomorrow and see what happens. I know of a few people who have been sticking smaller ones there but usually the tip ups always out fish the spear anywhere.

Finally got out spearing myself today.
    Ice was 18" thick.
    It came out easy in 2 pieces.

My one handed ice tongs did the trick even though I was by myself.
    Unfortunately the fish didn't cooperate.

Oh yeah before anybody says anything about it this is how I left the hole when I left.

That's exactly how I leave my sight fishing holes also

Sent while partying

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Oh yeah before anybody says anything about it this is how I left the hole when I left.

Bet you learned that in Minnesota.

That's where I did

Sent while partying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast