Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Clamming from the Kenai to Homer

Default No Clamming from the Kenai to Homer

More bad news for local eats.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150224/...utdown-beaches

A collapse of the razor clam population across Kenai Peninsula beaches has prompted the Alaska Department of Fish and Game to close many of them to clamming for the rest of the year.
    All clam species will be off limits beginning Sunday from the mouth of the Kenai River to Homer to the thousands of diggers who spend time on the beaches with clam shovels and clam guns. Never before has there been a complete shutdown, according to Fish and Game Biologist Carol Kerkvliet.
    The move was prompted by a 2014 survey of the clam populations on those beaches. It found:

• The clam population at the popular Clam Gulch beach was 89 percent lower than average.
    • At Ninilchik south, the population was down 82 percent.
    • At both locations, the number of juvenile clams was also down sharply -- ranging from 36 percent to 86 percent -- an indication that no recovery is on the horizon.
    “The cause of the decline … on east-side beaches is unknown but is thought to have resulted from poor spawning,” according to a press release from Fish and Game.
    The shutdown is the latest blow for outdoorsmen and women on the Kenai Peninsula, as well as the businesses that cater to them. Poor returns of king salmon to the Kenai and other Peninsula rivers have resulted in frequent closures, hampering anglers and fishing businesses for several years.
    Tuesday’s emergency order follows previous efforts to limit the take, including sharp cutbacks in bag limits for clams and, last summer, the closure of a section of the beach at Ninilchik.

The real sad thing about this is it has zero impact to what I might do this year. The numbers have been so knocked back its been ridiculous to even go try it. Hopefully the biology of clams (I have no clue) allows for a quick recovery. I actually bought razor clams last week sagaya. Arghhhhhhh.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Wait, Wait, Wait, they're gone, OK, close it.

Maybe some limitations on the west side now please? Use a card for reporting and have a yearly limit maybe? Their is/has been more pressure over there than in the past.

Default Clamming

The last time I clammed on the eastside beaches was 3 years ago and it was bad then.
    Way too many people on the beach that weekend. Take a water-taxi to the other side of Cook Inlet or get a boat ride from a friend.
    The clamming is way better over there!!!

westside.jpg

Aaaaand in 20 years when they close the West side.......

Seriously, folks who think the answer to a conservation issue is to go pillage elsewhere when a stock is down, are the epitome of shortsighted....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

Seriously, folks who think the answer to a conservation issue is to go pillage elsewhere when a stock is down, are the epitome of shortsighted....
    Really Hippie? You think there are enough water taxis to "pillage" the west side of the inlet? The road system doesn't reach those beaches and there aren't enough water taxis or people willing to pay for transport in order to do the damage that's been done to the east side. If you have been to Clam Gulch during a good minus tide it looks like a greatful dead concert just let out. I have never seen anyone on the west side beaches when I have clammed there, so it is a night and day difference. There is no way that someone posting the "secret" of the west side to this forum is going to cause the damage you speak of.

Take your doom & gloom elsewhere.

Deak

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    Really Hippie? You think there are enough water taxis to "pillage" the west side of the inlet?

Really Deak? You think 30 years ago folks even thought we'd see the day the East Side beaches would be closed?

The road system doesn't reach those beaches and there aren't enough water taxis or people willing to pay for transport in order to do the damage that's been done to the east side.
    The "road system" didn't reach the Mulchatna Herd either, but water and air taxi traffic sure did a number on 'em......

If you have been to Clam Gulch during a good minus tide it looks like a greatful [sic] dead concert just let out.
    I haven't been clamming in that area since the early 90's. Too crowded, and there are better places (aside from the West Side) to get clams, and I'd opt to not make such areas an easy Google Search for folks....

I have never seen anyone on the west side beaches when I have clammed there, so it is a night and day difference.
    Funny, I know a number of Old Timers who say the same thing about Clam Gulch, in the 50's......
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-26-2015 at 22:58.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

You think it'll take that long, eh? Pretty optimistic.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You think it'll take that long, eh? Pretty optimistic.
    I was being generous. But given the attitude displayed by the "Me Me Me My My My Mine Mine Mine" Los Anchoragua mindset, you're likely correct.

..the "Me Me Me My My My Mine Mine Mine" Los Anchoragua mindset....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree ... Got to have an airplane or boat to get there .... Lot's of big clams over there even with commercial harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Deak View Post
    The last time I clammed on the eastside beaches was 3 years ago and it was bad then.
    Way too many people on the beach that weekend. Take a water-taxi to the other side of Cook Inlet or get a boat ride from a friend.
    The clamming is way better over there!!!

westside.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess steamers at Seldovia and Jackalof bay are still good?

Default West Side = No Limits

Really Deak? You think 30 years ago folks even thought we'd see the day the East Side beaches would be closed. The "road system" didn't reach the Mulchatna Herd either, but water and air taxi traffic sure did a number on 'em......

I haven't been clamming in that area since the early 90's. Too crowded, and there are better places (aside from the West Side) to get clams, and I'd opt to not make such areas an easy Google Search for folks....

Funny, I know a number of Old Timers who say the same thing about Clam Gulch, in the 50's......
    Instead of giving orders I'll make a request. Don't bring the fisheries management forums rancorous debate to the saltwater fishing forum and I won't make glib posts that incite harvesting of a resource in a thread about the closure of the same resource. I saw the west side meme earlier today and thought it was a fitting post. Bad decision? Possibly?

Aside from that I would respond one more time to your appeal to emotion....

1. Clam fisheries are not going to be managed 20 or 30 years in advance as you are hinting they should. They go from hatch to harvest in 2 - 4 years so a smaller management window is probably sufficient. We should be worried about what's happening in 5 -6 years not 20.

2. Your slippery slope Caribou Herd argument has nothing to do with anything we have posted about. In 2 posts you have transitioned from content that should be found in the fishing forum, to the fishery management forum, to the game management forum. If I was going to continue to debate you we would have to stay on one topic.

3. Clam Gulch in the 1950's was 60+ years ago. If any of the people reading this post were clamming back then it would be fun to hear about it. Probably more in the spirit of what the saltwater fishing forum is for than rebutting accidentally trolled angry posts. I stick by my claim (and meme) that the west side is the best siiideee. In 65 years if the west side is closed for clamming you can post an "I told you so" and I'll apologize to you if I'm not dead.

Deak
    Last edited by Brian M; 02-26-2015 at 22:59. Reason: referenced edited post

Clamed at Clam Gultch in the late 70's .... lot's of 3 inch clams, landed the c-172 at Polly Creek, west side Cook Inlet in 1984, and have never been back to the gultch .... old guy ... but not from the 50's ..... now drive a great early big engine c-180 ..... extension of the road system zaps the resource base be that fish or fur ..... Did fish the Anchor river for Steelhead and caught and released 20 in one day, back in 1980. Humans are reducliously efficent when it comes to harvesting an ecosystem. Hope we can work it all out?

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Hello any trolls or Smart guys? Does anyone read the regs to allow steamers?

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    if you can find any... Haven't been any steamers for a few years. Butters are still to be had, but steamers are gone.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Glad they shut it down, it is long overdue. I've seen people do amazingly wasteful things on those beaches over the last 15 years and no one in authority seemed to care. Disgusting and relentless over-harvest by hordes of people.
    Woops, am I talking clams or reds here?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Disgusting and relentless over-harvest by hordes of people.
    Woops, am I talking clams or reds here?
    They're next...

(the reds)
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast