Thread: Wrangell Mtns 2016 sheep hunt.

Default Wrangell Mtns 2016 sheep hunt.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience driving McCarthy Rd out of Chitna. I was looking to do a back pack sheep hunt into the southern Wrangells, just wondering if this road is a good access point. Also was looking at going up Trail Access Rd off of McCarthy Rd. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know of several successful hunts coming from that point of entry, one being 40" +. They were using 4 wheelers though.

Check the NPS website, many of the trails seem to be closed to ORV use if you're wanting to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience driving McCarthy Rd out of Chitna. I was looking to do a back pack sheep hunt into the southern Wrangells, just wondering if this road is a good access point. Also was looking at going up Trail Access Rd off of McCarthy Rd. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Both Trail Creek and Lost Creek have had a fair bit of washout the past few summers, so I'm not sure that ATV access will get you very far. It's beautiful country, and either route gives you decent access to sheepy country. It looked to me like Lost Creek trail is probably better maintained, but either way I would expect to walk most of it. Warm or rainy weather can bring Lost Creek up enough that you can't hike the river bottom in the Canyon, and walking the Canyon Walls could be a little sketchy with a full pack. If would definitely prefer to haul a sheep out of the Trail Creek side.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    Both Trail Creek and Lost Creek have had a fair bit of washout the past few summers, so I'm not sure that ATV access will get you very far. It's beautiful country, and either route gives you decent access to sheepy country. It looked to me like Lost Creek trail is probably better maintained, but either way I would expect to walk most of it. Warm or rainy weather can bring Lost Creek up enough that you can't hike the river bottom in the Canyon, and walking the Canyon Walls could be a little sketchy with a full pack. If would definitely prefer to haul a sheep out of the Trail Creek side.
    Trail and lost creek are off the Nabesna Road right? I think he's asking about the southern side.

Confusion here....

McCarthy is a totally different area.
    Proud to be an American!

The road to McCarthy was improved I think. Either last summer or the summer before. I don't know anything about walking off the McCarthy road, but if your driving down to Chitina from Eielson, before you get to Chitina, there is a trail on the right that goes into a CUA for sheep hunting. I forget the name of the trail but it is marked with a sign. The area that trail leads to is between the Richardsen and Edgerton Hiways.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

MT- if you are referring to the Tiger Mine Trail, Burma Road, 5-Mile trail, or the Nagangast mine road that be aware that it is Chitina Native Land and you will be cited for trespass if you park at the trail head.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Trail and lost creek are off the Nabesna Road right? I think he's asking about the southern side.
    my bad. Didn't read close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    MT- if you are referring to the Tiger Mine Trail, Burma Road, 5-Mile trail, or the Nagangast mine road that be aware that it is Chitina Native Land and you will be cited for trespass if you park at the trail head.

Bowhunter is at Eielson. To drive to McCarthy he has to come down the Edgerton Hiway. I was referring to a couple trails off the Edgerton going in to the Tonsina CUA. I would suspect less competition in the CUA as it is walk in only.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Bowhunter is at Eielson. To drive to McCarthy he has to come down the Edgerton Hiway. I was referring to a couple trails off the Edgerton going in to the Tonsina CUA. I would suspect less competition in the CUA as it is walk in only.
    Liberty Falls is a state park rec site. No need to worry about Ahtna parking there.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Yes about the first 18 miles I think has been improved (hard surface and really nice) on the McCarthy Road. Not sure what the CUA is but as you near McCarthy you will pass by the Crystalline Hills that used to be an any sheep area. Best you will prob do in there is 3/4 to 5/8 curl but there are also goats in there so many take a registration tag along also. Mosquitoes are terrible in Aug and there is no water on top so take some extra with you. Most of the animals are from the saddle in the middle and on eastward. For many people it is a 10 to 12 hour hike to the top. Good luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

The road to Chitna is paved, the canyon before the river is not, then a little near the Copper River bridge. After that it is all gravel to McCarthy. Two years ago I was impressed with the road between the Copper and McCarthy. Really smooth going and very few slow spots. The road to Chitna has been being under construction for the past two summers. Did not make it back towards to end of the summer to see what they accomplished. But anything would be better. And YES check native land status.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012