Thread: Kuiu Tent?

Default Kuiu Tent?

Any of you guys using Kuiu tents on your hunts? Happy with it? Would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

Are the Kuiu tents back out on the market? They halted all sales for a while because they were getting some reports of leaking.

I didnt buy one, to me it didnt look like something I'd want to rely on in a storm on a glacier or mountain top. Several guys here in AK got them and were very unhappy with the performance. Happy with the Hillebergs though. Hilleberg isnt the end all be all mountain tent there are many good tents, they are just proven for me.

Much better options out there.

I bought the two person KUIU when it first came out. I do really like the design, light weight and compactability, internal dimensions, and general features. I never experienced internal condensation, as it is very well ventilated. My daughter and I used it sheep hunting last year. Never leaked despite numerous periods of rain.

Now, that said, I had problems with it. When I first got it, I set it up in my yard and right off the start I popped a seam when affixing a pole clip to the pole...twice. It is a very tight construction, but I was doing everything exactly as instructed. Sent it back to KUIU, and they were great and sent me a new one. No further problems with the seams and set-up. However, the material is very thin so I did a backpack test overnight in the mountains at a time that it was forcasted to rain that night....and it did (all night)...and my tent leaked (dripping). I called KUIU to check about using a spray on the material to enhance waterproofing. They recommended a silicon spray, which I did, tested, and the problem was solved. I then took it on the sheep hunt without any problems in the rain.

I didn't take this tent with me for my three week (in a tent) moose and brown bear remote drop hunt through mid September and early October last year. For many reasons I took my Northface Mountain 25. I really like KUIU's products, and I think they are a fine company, but I'm anticipating that there will be some changes with this next production of the tent...we'll see. I really do like my KUIU two person, and I'll take it into the field again (always after another spray application), but I won't use it for all of my tent hunting applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Muche View Post
    Much better options out there.
    Yep.
    Stay away, Oakman.
    Have been having a discussion on Rokslide about KUIU tents, guys have had real problems with leakage right out of the box.
    And we're not talking seams, the fabric itself is defective. I personally have other KUIU gear, great stuff, but the tents are a catastrophy waiting to happen.

Many other choices without imperiling yourself.
    Proud to be an American!

After buying several pieces of Kuiu gear (some of it awesome, and some less so)...I'd wait until about the 3rd iteration to buy one.

As much as i love some of their stuff, they sure aren't beyond beta testing on their clients it seems.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit