Thread: Moose area advice

Default Moose area advice

dm402.pdf

I got my first draw hunt and I drew DM402 anterless moose, Point MacKenzie area. I was wondering if anyone knew the predator situation there. Alot of bear activity or little to none? I will eventually get to ADFG and speak with the Biologist there for info. I was just looking to see if any previous tags had any advice.

thanks

Unless the predators are wolfs or human I don't think it matters. The reason I say that is because moose do not stay in one place very long. Depending on the time of the year and the moose they have an area of 2 to 5 miles they move around in. Unless you know a location like a swamp or a trail they use and you are going to sit and watch for a moose and predators move into the same area it not going to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Unless the predators are wolfs or human I don't think it matters. The reason I say that is because moose do not stay in one place very long. Depending on the time of the year and the moose they have an area of 2 to 5 miles they move around in. Unless you know a location like a swamp or a trail they use and you are going to sit and watch for a moose and predators move into the same area it not going to matter.
    That was kinda what I wass thinking just worried more about a lot of bears in the area or not.

I was fortunate enough to hunt Point MacKenzie with a buddy who drew 402 last year. We spent a lot of time on imagery and topo, driving and scouting, and found that there are quite a lot of farms, private property, and houses / buildings, job sites all over the place. We did not see any bear sign in the southern half of the zone, down near the bottom of Point MacKenzie, from Lost Lake to Lake Lorraine. But I don't live in the area, so it may have just been timing for us. Certainly you have a good resource in the biologist, and I am sure the farmers have lots of info on any predators. But it is my opinion that with the decent population of humans down that way, there are very few bears, if any at all. We did not feel the need for extra bear protection when riding the trails down south there on Point MacKenzie Rd.

I was hoping to draw this tag myself, or my son draw 412, because I think the southern area is great for finding cows. But schucks, I drew 407 instead have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by kbskinny11 View Post
    I was fortunate enough to hunt Point MacKenzie with a buddy who drew 402 last year. We spent a lot of time on imagery and topo, driving and scouting, and found that there are quite a lot of farms, private property, and houses / buildings, job sites all over the place. We did not see any bear sign in the southern half of the zone, down near the bottom of Point MacKenzie, from Lost Lake to Lake Lorraine. But I don't live in the area, so it may have just been timing for us. Certainly you have a good resource in the biologist, and I am sure the farmers have lots of info on any predators. But it is my opinion that with the decent population of humans down that way, there are very few bears, if any at all. We did not feel the need for extra bear protection when riding the trails down south there on Point MacKenzie Rd.

I was hoping to draw this tag myself, or my son draw 412, because I think the southern area is great for finding cows. But schucks, I drew 407 instead have fun!
    Thanks! This is quite useful because I may end up going solo on this hunt, that is why I was asking. I appreciate the info.

A few bear bait stations here and there. Had a black bear popping its jaws at us a couple years back, when I was young enough to draw 412. Don't worry about the Bears there. They shouldn't be a problem at all as previously stated.

Lots and lots of private property. Used to hunt for grouse and hares down there, but gave it up as it got so restricted by the amount of private property. Lots of moose in the area and it can be downright frustrating trying to catch one.

I'd recommend hunting the beginning of the season as the moose are less skittish from hunting pressure and seem to be closer to the road(at least what we experienced).