Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Rifle recommendations for hunting?

Default 22 Rifle recommendations for hunting?

I'm looking to get a new .22 rifle this year, primarily for grouse and ptarmigan hunting. What do you guys run, and what would you recommend?

I've been thinking of bolt action, but the 10/22 type semis are also attractive.

I have a stainless composite Ruger 77/22 with a scope on it. It is very accurate and a joy to shoot.
    It runs the same clips as the 10/22.
    I have taken a bunch of grouse and hare with it.
    I also have a 10/22 takedown and like it as well. I do not have a scope on it though and mainly use it for plinking.
    It is nice that I can take it apart for storage and transport and comes in a handy soft sided case.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

We have both a Ruger 77/22 and a 10/22 take down. While both are fun to shoot, I prefer the 77/22 for small game. It has an inexpensive scope on it, that might be more then what is needed, but it is one I had. The thing about the 77/22 is that I can run any type of ammo through it. That can not be said for any of the semi-auto loaders. I have gotten to where I shoot a fair amount of the CCI quite ammo, hence the 77/22 being used.
    OP, see if you can get with shooters that have the type of 22 you might be interested in and see if they will let you shoot them. That will help more then all of us 'sounding' off.

The Ruger 77/22 is great ($799), but the CZ-455 and older 452 ($435) are nearly half as much and just as good (possibly better). If you want/need stainless go Ruger, if beautiful walnut and top not bluing are ok then go CZ. Neither will let you down. I have many Rugers and last year picked up a CZ-452 Trainer and it is accurate. If you are in Anchorage Great Northern Guns stocks many CZ rifles. Oddly enough it is very hard to locate the 77/22 mag or 77/22lr anywhere.

Both rifles have great actions that are smooth and accurate. I wish Ruger made all of their rifles with the old MKII stainless vs the new matte stainless with the Hawkeyes/Americans... but the 77/44, 77/357, and 77/22s are thankfully still polished staineless!

Sobie2

If you are wracking your brain looking for a 22lr. There's not a more economic and accurate rimfire than the 10/22; except semi-autos always seem to be running out of ammo too fast. When it comes to bolt actions for the field there are many out there but most won't compete with the CZ in the accuracy per dollar range. If you don't plan to use a scope the Winchester 67 is a very accurate and moderately priced single-shot field rifle, however it hasn't been produced in 50 years or so. The 67 was made in both full sized and youth models unlike most rimfires today. NOTE, I wouldn't trade my Win 67 for any CZ or a Ruger and I've owned/shot both companies rifles. Most 22s are more accurate with standard velocity ammo like Green Tag, Eley ammo.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

It's hard to beat a basic 10/22. I bet I've put 10,000 rounds through mine and it is still a tack driver with a little fixed 4x scope.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have a stainless composite Ruger 77/22 with a scope on it. It is very accurate and a joy to shoot.
    It runs the same clips as the 10/22.
    I have taken a bunch of grouse and hare with it.
    Ditto. Mine is VERY accurate.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have been debating on the 10/22 for quite some time. I do have two old semi auto 22s that can be loaded from the bottom of the stock and I do enjoy shooting them. When I go hunting for big game I carry a henry survival 22 that brakes down nicely(everything fits in the bottom of the stock). when I go hunting for small game I have a 10/22 chambered in 22 mag . I have been looking at the 22 lr in 10/22 or the 77/22 do to the availability of ammo(hard to find 22wm). The 77/22 does appear to be accurate but for the price you can get a nice tactical solutions 10/22 that will be almost as accurate if not just the same. For ptarmigan hunting I use a bolt action 17hmr. I have found that the ptarmigan are usually further shots and the 17 works nicely for that.

I like my henry. Wish it was a Winchester 9422, but those are hard to find for an affordable price these days.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I've had a pile of .22s... for small game hunting i really enjoyed my 77/22, my Kimber 22 and my last iteration is a CZ 452 Trainer...with a long barrel and tangent sights.

All of them made superb hunting rifles.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I really like my 40+ year old Browning Semi Auto.

I've shot quite a few .22s and when I grab one to go hunting I always fall back on my old faithful marlin mod. 60 semi auto. Mine is a tack driver and fun to shoot. Nothing against the 10-22, they are a great rifle and overall tougher than my marlin. The marlin just fits me better.

Marlin lever action model 39A with a peep sight. Had it since I was 12, and that was a long time ago. Slim and easy to carry, while always being wicked accurate. Carried enough ammo in the tube, that I never had to carry extra in my pockets. Annie Oakley knew it to be a good rifle, and now my daughter does, too.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Every self respecting gun owner needs a 10/22 in the safe. Darn things are cheap and accurate, plus fun to shoot. Hit up the local shops and try to find a used older one. They seem to be made much better than the new production stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ak_in_ca View Post
    Every self respecting gun owner needs a 10/22 in the safe. Darn things are cheap and accurate, plus fun to shoot. Hit up the local shops and try to find a used older one. They seem to be made much better than the new production stuff
    Completely agree. Hard to beat this gun. With or without a scope!

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    I've been thinking of bolt action, but the 10/22 type semis are also attractive.
    I've been shooting 10/22's since the late 1960's, and in fact I still have the first I bought way back then. Some others in the house too.

But my CZ American does about 99% of the hunting. No lightweight, rather it has the heft and balance of a centerfire bolt. Sure it cuts ragged holes in paper at 50 yards from a rest, but that's only half the story. Due to that weight and balance it's the best offhand 22 I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. And for me, offhand shooting is the ultimate measure of any small game 22.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_in_ca View Post
    I only owned one and the best thing I can say about them is that they hold their value, pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by huntfishak View Post
    I've shot quite a few .22s and when I grab one to go hunting I always fall back on my old faithful marlin mod. 60 semi auto. Mine is a tack driver and fun to shoot. Nothing against the 10-22, they are a great rifle and overall tougher than my marlin. The marlin just fits me better.
    Agree, I've got a couple .22s ranging from Savage to Marlin. To this day I'm still in love with my Marlin 60 semi auto. This thing is a tack driver and I've shot numerous different brands of ammo with very little issue. Most of my grouse fell to the Marlin 60 last year.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I have to ask.........has anybody ever actually driven a tack with their 22...??? My Dad told me once that he/they used to drive nails with theirs.

Then again......Dad used to shoot doves out of the air with his 22, as well as head shoot rabbits on the run.

He was one hell of a shot. Wish he could have taught me how to do that.......

Oh and btw.....I still have the 10/22 he bought me when I was a kid.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

For the contrarian view....

I've owned at least 4 or 5 10/22s stretching nearly 30 years. They are a fun gun to shoot, wonderful for plinking, but as a serious hunting rifle I think they lack a lot to be desired. Sure, I've used one...a lot....and they work. But...

Accuracy is only mediocre when compared to a really good bolt action .22 and the trigger as shipped from the factory is generally dreadful. I do see that they are making a "BX" trigger that competes with the host of aftermarket triggers available. But wow...once you buy the rifle and the trigger you're well one your way to a really nice 77/22 and past what a CZ runs at MSRP.

I know you can get a whole grip of aftermarket goodies for one, but I genuinely feel that a serious rifleman deserves to treat himself to a really nice .22 bolt action sporter to hunt with. A good rifle, appropriate rimfire scope and a box of "Green Tag" or other match ammo will teach a guy a whole lot about shooting he didn't know before. My best investment ever was a Kimber .22 and a Leopold scope...hundreds of small game critters and tiny little clusters on paper made shooting something new else entirely.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast