Thread: What are you doing with your winter?

Default What are you doing with your winter?

Gotta make the best of what Alaska weather gives you! Where have you been fishing? What have you been tying? The Kenai has been steadily producing for me!

Nice!!!! Good to see the river producing. Might have to try that. Still managing kings out of Homer off the kayak.

It's slower now but around October, I'd like to see a few folks that can boom out a good Spey cast try for the Kings off of Homer with a fly from shore. I think it could be done.

Been trying to troll a 4wt for the Kings on and off. Managed a few shakers but no real kings....yet. Not sure that qualifies for the flyfishing forum though. Lol.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I am sitting/laying on the couch mostly going crazy-er recovering from back surgery reading AOD and every other gun and airplane forum I can find. Keep the pics coming!

Default Homer Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Nice!!!! Good to see the river producing. Might have to try that. Still managing kings out of Homer off the kayak.

It's slower now but around October, I'd like to see a few folks that can boom out a good Spey cast try for the Kings off of Homer with a fly from shore. I think it could be done.

Been trying to troll a 4wt for the Kings on and off. Managed a few shakers but no real kings....yet. Not sure that qualifies for the flyfishing forum though. Lol.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    What kind of depths do think a fly would have to reach to be in the zone out there?

Default What are you doing with your winter?

In early fall, I'd say you would want to hit about 30 to 40 ft of water total if you cast at low tide. If you can get 10ft down, you are in business. Low tide brings you 25 yards maybe closer to the "ledge".

I'm not an expert but they seem to get deeper later in the winter.

I think whiskey gulch has potential to. If you could make a decent cast with a sandlances imitation, it wouldn't surprise me to catch a few dollies and have a reasonable shot at Kings and to a lesser extent halibut. That's be late April to early June when they are closer in.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

I might not be the best at judging distance. But here's a bathymetric of the place I would try. Most of the time the wind should be at your back here.

0.02 nautical miles is 120 ft. Sure seems a lot closer than that where I fish at low tide off my kayak.

Pin starts at 1 or 2 ft line looks like it gets close 20ft deep. The buildings are the condos north of Lands End Hotel

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails homer%u00252Bcondos%u00252Bdepth.jpg  

Default Homer Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    In early fall, I'd say you would want to hit about 30 to 40 ft of water total if you cast at low tide. If you can get 10ft down, you are in business. Low tide brings you 25 yards maybe closer to the "ledge".

I'm not an expert but they seem to get deeper later in the winter.

I think whiskey gulch has potential to. If you could make a decent cast with a sandlances imitation, it wouldn't surprise me to catch a few dollies and have a reasonable shot at Kings and to a lesser extent halibut. That's be late April to early June when they are closer in.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

thanks for the info, i think this might just be doable now.

I just got back from sixteen awesome days in Costa Rica. I fished two days out of Mal Pais and had a blast. The first day yielded a long needlefish in the mid 40 inch range as well as some small snapper and a few jacks. I fished exclusively with the fly road stripping and trolling saltwater flies beautifully tied by my buddy Brendyn who owns Pretty Fly For A White Guy out of Kenai. The second trip was all about big fish on live bait. My buddy and I each picked up a roosterfish in the sixty pound range and I also tagged a forty pound rose snapper. I'm thinking about heading back in December during the rainy season when the dorado are thick and will hammer flies all day. CR is a place I would HIGHLY recommend for a slice of paradise and some great fishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

The needlefish...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Cool

Mostly ice fishing waiting for break up