Thread: 82 lb. king from shore!?!

Default 82 lb. king from shore!?!

That's what this lodge report claims:

http://www.towerrocklodge.com/report.html

How on earth would someone land such a fish from shore on the Kenai???
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default hmmmm

I am very skeptical.... show me the pics... All 55"+ fish must be sealed by ADF&G within 3 days of harvest, so there should be a record of that.

Honestly, this is the first I have heard this... I am on the river most every day...news like this travels fast.

The water in front of the Towerrock docks is fairly swift with a relatively deep channel right out. So, catching a king from the docks is concievable, however one this size is unbelievable. There is nowhere to run up or down. So unless one was fishing with halibut gear and 100# plus test (casting would be next to impossible, not necessarily because of the line, rather the rod), I would have to see it to believe it.

Now, a 40 pounder.... sure, I can accept that...

Default No Way !

That sounds like a pretty good fish story. Maybe 80 pounds including the angler and the fish.

Actually all of the bigger kings I have caught have just stayed in one place and bull dogged so it is conceivable that this one stayed in one place a bull dogged for 2 or 3 hours unlikely yes, impossible no.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Oh My.

Oh My! an 82 lb. King? I can only imagine what catching a King that big would be like. The biggest I've ever caught was in the low 50's range. I got that last year in Cooks Inlet while I was up there visiting friends. We have Kings here in the Great Lakes but nothing that size. Here in Michigan anything over 27 lbs. is considered a Master Angler. Of course our Kings only stay out in the Lake for 3 to 4 years max before returning to spawn. Since our house is sold and we are moving to Soldotna in a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll get a chance at one of those big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Actually all of the bigger kings I have caught have just stayed in one place and bull dogged so it is conceivable that this one stayed in one place a bull dogged for 2 or 3 hours unlikely yes, impossible no.

One trait common to EVERY big king (60-plus) ever hooked in my boat is that they have ALL run upriver. Sometimes it's a blistering sprint, but often it's more like a steady ascent upstream with a defiant "I got places to go, things to do, and I ain't got time for this attitude."

The other common trait for all these fish is that they eventually turn downriver.... usually WAY downriver.... before you get them anywhere close to the boat.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 06-18-2007 at 19:32. Reason: Spelling
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

If I remember right the 97 lb record was also caught from shore......hmmmm

Default Memory failed...

UM-Zach...

You don't remember right. Les Anderson was a very close friend of mine. He caught his fish from his boat not far from the Pillars. In fact, where you may have been misled is that he could not get the fish into his net, so they landed at the Pillars to hoist the king into the boat. There is no question that he caught and fought the fish from his boat...

By the way, my experience is like Doc's... every big fish that I have caught has run like a freight train... It is not uncommon to have to chase these guys upriver at over 2000 rpm!!!

I was actually talking about the local bs rumor that also happens to be printed on a menu at a fine local 24hr diner

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

One trait common to EVERY big king (60-plus) ever hooked in my boat is that they have ALL run upriver. Sometimes it's a blistering sprint, but often it's more like a steady ascent upstream with a defiant "I got places to go, things to do, and I ain't got time for this attitude."

The other common trait for all these fish is that they eventually turn downriver.... usually WAY downriver.... before you get them anywhere close to the boat.
    If they run upriver then theres not that much of a problem but as soon as they bust downstream you might as well cut the line. And of course perhaps kings act way different when fighting someone on the shoreline than they do when fighting someone from a boat. I agree that when a king goes upstream its generally a really big fish. As I said unlikely but not impossible...
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 06-18-2007 at 19:33. Reason: Spellig in quote
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'm sure it could have happen and maybe it did, but I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it. I've fished the lower Kenai for 8 years, and I've caught my share of kings, no 80 pounders,but lots of 20 to 60 pounders, and out of all the kings I've caught 95 % take off either up or down stream like a rocket , and you end up chasing after them in the boat. So from my experience I wouldn't bet on it really happenning, but maybe it did. I had a friend catch a 110lb halibut in his 16ft cataraft 3 miles out at deep creek, I didn't believe him until he should me video, and pictures. And then I heard it's very common for people to go out with anything from 14ft zodiaks to 18ft catarafts and just kill the halibut at deep creek. So who knows ?

Is the Kenai single hook only? If not, maybe the fish was cought with a treble that hooked both upper and lower jaws not allowing the fish to breathe properly. I have hooked several like this and they lose the fight VERY quickly.

Just a thought...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Kenai has been one single-point hook since 1999.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Kenai has been one single-point hook since 1999.
    Lol....shows how much time I spend down there!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....